This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Developing Intolerances?

ltaylor882

ltaylor882 Newbie

I was wondering if it is possible to develop an allergy or intolerance by eating a large amount of a certain food? I am now allergic to wheat and I was wondering if it was because I was eating pasta, bread, or some wheat product every single day, often times at multiple meals, then one day in class I had pretzels and broke out in severe hives. After that, everytime I had anything with wheat in it, I was covered in hives head to toe in a matter of minutes. So, I stopped eating wheat and was much better. I have been eating a lot of brown rice products in pasta and bread as well as products with potato. Lately I have been having bad 'D' and stomach pain and I have come to the conclusion that I am having these bouts right after I eat brown rice/brown rice flour or potatoes. I ate mostly applesauce and drank water all of last week because I was feeling so sick and was feeling much better. Today, I had a brown rice tortilla wrap for lunch and my dad made beef stew for dinner (with potatoes) and feel horrible. Is it possible I have developed an intolerance to these things as well? Thanks for any input...I'm so tired and frustrated of dealing with this and I really just wish I could pinpoint what was causing these symptoms. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I was wondering if it is possible to develop an allergy or intolerance by eating a large amount of a certain food? I am now allergic to wheat and I was wondering if it was because I was eating pasta, bread, or some wheat product every single day, often times at multiple meals, then one day in class I had pretzels and broke out in severe hives. After that, everytime I had anything with wheat in it, I was covered in hives head to toe in a matter of minutes. So, I stopped eating wheat and was much better. I have been eating a lot of brown rice products in pasta and bread as well as products with potato. Lately I have been having bad 'D' and stomach pain and I have come to the conclusion that I am having these bouts right after I eat brown rice/brown rice flour or potatoes. I ate mostly applesauce and drank water all of last week because I was feeling so sick and was feeling much better. Today, I had a brown rice tortilla wrap for lunch and my dad made beef stew for dinner (with potatoes) and feel horrible. Is it possible I have developed an intolerance to these things as well? Thanks for any input...I'm so tired and frustrated of dealing with this and I really just wish I could pinpoint what was causing these symptoms. Thanks.

Unfortunately, additional intolerances are all too likely to rear their ugly heads. Yes, it is not a good idea to eat a lot of one food, especially when you have a damaged intestine (also known as leaky gut) which lets through larger food molecules than your blood stream is designed to handle. Your body then treats these molecules as "foreign" rather than "self" and your autoimmune system attacks them - bammo, you have another intolerance. The good news is that the intolerance may not be permanent, but you should definitely stop eating any food that gives you a reaction. Your aim is to let your gut rest and heal, so you need to treat it kindly and give it what it tells you it wants. Brown rice contains the bran which contains lectins, which our bodies can have trouble digesting, so stick with white rice for now; applesauce is good. Lamb (if you like it) is good, so is white fish, neutral veggies like swiss chard, carrots (cooked, not raw), yogurt if you tolerate dairy, blueberries and strawberries if tolerated (high in potassium and fiber). Eat simple, whole fresh foods and find things your body does not object to. Once you have stabilized you can try adding other things. I would not advise you to eat soy or dairy other than yogurt for now (and you may not even be able to do yogurt - it is all trial and error at this stage).

It is sad that you cannot just turn off the gluten tap and everything is fine again; you have a lot of healing to do. Potatoes can be a biggie - they are for me (no bread containing potato starch - see my signature).

Try to stabilize on a bland diet, and then add things in one at a time every 3-5 days. For the time being eliminate the top allergen foods, which include in addition to wheat and soy, eggs, milk, peanuts, corn. Leave beans and all legumes alone for now, and since you are sensitive to potatoes forget about the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant). There is plenty of time to challenge those later. The beef is probably okay and stews are actually a good way to get good nutrition - just leave out the foods that are troubling you.

Report back to us and feel free to ask any more questions you have whenever.

ltaylor882 Newbie

Thank you for the information. I will cut these foods out for a bit and hopefully I'll be feeling better soon.

• 2 weeks later...
JAMR Newbie

I agree with Mushrooms comments, it is well known risk that you need to cycle the foods you eat, as I have learnt to my cost. I would add that sugar is also a problem food and its quite easy and comon to get a craving for sweet stuff when you remove foods from your diet. Candida also feeds on sugars and fructose is a problem of itself, so be careful you do not end up with no soy, no wheat, no corn etc but because your body is looking for sweetnes you end up creating a sensitivity to sugar, with implications for your pancreas.

Archived