Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeckyWJ

Sleep Apnea And Celiac?

Noticed Friday night that my 4 yr old son has sleep apnea. Normal 5-6 breaths, then no breathing, then a gasp, a cry and normal breaths for 5-6 breaths, etc. this lasted for about 15 minutes. Though he hasn't been tested for celiac, three of us have gluten issues (from siezures to hallucinations), so I wondered if there could be a connection? He is underweight for his age, which I know can be a gluten issue.

He's been off gluten since Saturday. Yesterday his nap was normal for the first time in months (he didn't wake crying after an hour...I'm thinking his nap pattern may have been due to the apnea. I watched him closely during that nap and no apea). Also, since being off gluten, he hasn't cried out at all during the night. For the past few months he would cry out at night, but not really be awake. This would last off and on for 15-30 minutes. We're thinking now that that may have been the sleep apnea. The only reason I noticed this Friday night was because he slept with me that night.

So...any of your children deal with sleep apnea before going gluten free? Any of your children have enlarged tonsils before going gluten free (his tonsils are huge, but his doctors have never been concerned).

Thanks for any insight!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i had my tonsils & adenoids taken out when i was maybe 3. i have Celiac, and im low on Iga.

i dont know if there's a known link w/ this or apnea, but i wouldnt be surprised.

you might want to have the doctor test his "Total Iga Serum"... it's not diagnostic of Celiac (even tho Iga deficiency is common in Celiacs)- but it would tell you if he has a slightly weaker immune system.

i wouldnt be surprised AT ALL, if removing gluten helps him with swollen tonsils... very interesting. good luck with your little one :)

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Who can help me with husband's sleep apnea? He is suffering from 3 years. I want to find a treatments for his disease. Thanks

Who can help me with husband's sleep apnea? He is suffering from 3 years. I want to find a treatments for his disease. Thanks

Hello,

Your first stop should be your regular family doctor. Does you husband stop breathing when he sleeps, does he snore and does he jerk awake? Sleep Apnea is very serious please follow up with your doctor...

Ranger100