Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adab8ca

Maladosprtion!

So after my original antibody tests for Celiac, my Dr. ordered a bunch of labwork. vitamins and minerals etc...

ONly thing that was out of spec was Vit D at 70 (lower range of 75). So since then I have been taking at least 2500 IU of vit D a day and now, 3 months later, my Vitamuin D is 47.

YIKES

So we are upping that...It has been 2 weeks that I have been gluten free and am seeing some of my weird aches and pains abating but the nerves are still pretty bad. Well, no wonder.....LOng road ahead...We are repeating the blood work for everything in November, so by then my Vitamin D shouyld be zero. :(

TTG >200 (normal <10)

IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)

IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)

Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy

Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010

Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It does take a while to heal. 2 weeks is not long enough to have fully healed yet. I would call the doctor and ask for a script for a 'loading dose' of vitamin D. The amount your taking doesn't seem to be enough if your numbers are still going down.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

?? should it be combined with anything for better absorption?? i have a Vit.D/Calcium/Magnesium combo pill.

i really dont know enough about D... so i guess keep checking with your doc till you get it up in range

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Have you checked for hyperparathyroids? http://parathyroid.com/low-vitamin-d.htm

How are your calcium tests? Have you had parathyroid tested ?

Vitamin D and It's Relationship to Hyperparathyroidism

Low Vitamin D, Vit D is low in blood.Hyperparathyroidism is associated with high calcium in the blood. The cause is a parathyroid tumor. This is discussed throughout this website, so we will not go into it here. Basically, a tumor grows from one of your parathyroid glands... this tumor produces parathyroid hormone which takes calcium out of your bones and puts it into your blood. You get osteoporosis and feel bad because of the high calcium in the blood.

Low Vitamin D, Vit D is low in blood.The body doesn't want the calcium to be high... So, it will try to get rid of the calcium in the urine... which is why many patients (about 1/3) will have high calcium in the urine (they can get kidney stones from this).

Low Vitamin D, Vit D is low in blood.The body also wants to shut down calcium absorption from your intestines. It does this by limiting the amount of Vitamin D in your body. Thus, if your body determines that your calcium is too high... it can decrease the amount of calcium that is absorbed from your intestines by decreasing the amount of Vitamin D available. If your Vitamin D levels are decreased, you can't absorb so much calcium from your diet. This is a protective measure.

Good luck and hope you find the answers soon

So after my original antibody tests for Celiac, my Dr. ordered a bunch of labwork. vitamins and minerals etc...

ONly thing that was out of spec was Vit D at 70 (lower range of 75). So since then I have been taking at least 2500 IU of vit D a day and now, 3 months later, my Vitamuin D is 47.

YIKES

So we are upping that...It has been 2 weeks that I have been gluten free and am seeing some of my weird aches and pains abating but the nerves are still pretty bad. Well, no wonder.....LOng road ahead...We are repeating the blood work for everything in November, so by then my Vitamin D shouyld be zero. :(

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!