Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jstanton8

Blood Test Results - Help!

Just got my blood test results in the mail and I am devestated because they are supposedly all normal. I thought I'd finally figured out why I am a useless exhausted lump of worthlessness. Did my doc miss any important tests?

Tissue Transglutaminase IgG AB 4 (reference range <20 units is negative, 20-30 units is weak positive and >30 is strong positive)

Tissue Transglutaminase AB IgA 10 (same reference range as above)

Gliadin Antibodies IgA 2 (same reference range as above)

Gliadin Antibodies IgG 1 (same reference range as above)

I have an apt with a gastro doc on Wed. Should I keep it and go even though my test results are "normal"?

Thanks so much,

Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Was a total serum IgA done? That test verifies that your immune system is functioning and producing antibodies. If it shows a level below the reference range, then the other test results will not be valid.

Yes, go see the gastro. Even if your blood tests are negative, an endoscopy my reveal damage to the villi which is diagnostic of celiac disease.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thank you so much Peter. I so appreciate your quick response. The tests above are the only ones ordered. I also wondered about the Total IgA. I am definitely going to keep the apt with the gastro doc on Wed. If I don't have Celiac, something else is still going on. I may just go straight for the endoscopy instead of waiting on more bloodwork. I just dread the expense.

when i got a copy of my results from my PCP AND my Gi ( i had 2 panels done).. the ranges they had were:

TTG Iga: Negative 0-3

Weak Positive 4-10

Positive >10

TTG Igg: Negative 0-5

Weak Positive 6-9

Positive >9

my TTG was a weak positive, my antigliadin just in the negative range, i am Iga deficient, and my Endomysial Antibodies were Positive.

these tests are sometimes so complicated. i would definitely touch base with your doc, and see about more testing. you may also want to look into endo & colonoscopy... i was relieved to have the colonoscopy and see that i didnt have any other conditions :)

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

when i got a copy of my results from my PCP AND my Gi ( i had 2 panels done).. the ranges they had were:

TTG Iga: Negative 0-3

Weak Positive 4-10

Positive >10

TTG Igg: Negative 0-5

Weak Positive 6-9

Positive >9

my TTG was a weak positive, my antigliadin just in the negative range, i am Iga deficient, and my Endomysial Antibodies were Positive.

these tests are sometimes so complicated. i would definitely touch base with your doc, and see about more testing. you may also want to look into endo & colonoscopy... i was relieved to have the colonoscopy and see that i didnt have any other conditions :)

I'm curious - different labs use different scales to diagnose? So at one lab I could be positive but another they'd call it a negative?! :head hurts: :huh: Or am I misunderstanding?? (And in that case, is there a way to know what range they use before you test?!)

I'm curious - different labs use different scales to diagnose? So at one lab I could be positive but another they'd call it a negative?! :head hurts: :huh: Or am I misunderstanding?? (And in that case, is there a way to know what range they use before you test?!)

You must use the reference range that the lab uses for their test. It is based on the results pattern at that lab. Variances exist from lab to lab.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007