Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

travelrjoe

Chocolate Birthday Cake

I was so excited to recently discover Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix. We used it for a birthday cake for a friend who is also gluten intolerant and it was fantactic. We added some chocolate chips to the recipe and you woudl have never guessed by the awesome taste that it was gluten-free. What a treat.

Does anyone else have gluten-free dessert products that they would recommend? I found the Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix really easy to prepare and it was economically priced (less then $5). I'm hooked and now realize you can be gluten-free, but still have your cake!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use the cheesecake part from the following recipe on chocolate cake. It is wonderful but my cheesecake has always stayed on top. I did make a carrot cake by using Betty Crocker's yellow cake mix, adding some grated carrots and spices. Was excellent also.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cheesecake/carrot-cheesecake/

1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember

1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms

Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance

2000-osteopenia

2001-had stroke because of medications I was given

June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months

June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)

May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

I was so excited to recently discover Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix. We used it for a birthday cake for a friend who is also gluten intolerant and it was fantactic. We added some chocolate chips to the recipe and you woudl have never guessed by the awesome taste that it was gluten-free. What a treat.

Does anyone else have gluten-free dessert products that they would recommend? I found the Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix really easy to prepare and it was economically priced (less then $5). I'm hooked and now realize you can be gluten-free, but still have your cake!

hhmmm... well im very picky and opinionated.. so sorry if i step on anyone's toes...

ive tried:

bob's red mill gluten-free brownie mix- HATED it...too gummy

pamela's brownie mix- threw it away.. awful

pamela's Vanilla cake mix- DELICIOUS!!! the only gluten-free cake mix or cake that ive ever enjoyed- fluffy, perfect, i made homemade buttercream icing for it

Kinninnick (sp?) vanilla cake mix- eh... edible, allergic reaction.

betty crockers gluten-free choco mix- eh.. ok

ive tried from scratch, no luck yet. there's a lot of great gluten-free recipes online tho!!

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Search the 36 hour chocolate chip cookies in the search forum above....AWESOME!

I have found that replacing the flours in recipes which have fruits or vegetables in them (ie zucchini or carrot) works without much issue. Even my DH who doesn't like much of the gluten-free stuff likes those. I found a recipe for my own mix..(can't remember where, bummer :huh: ) which works great..I also liked the King Arthur all purpose mix better thatn Bob's Red mill. I'm not a huge fan of the bean flours. They taste metalic to me. Well enough rambling B)