This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diagnosed Celiacs And Not Following The gluten-free Diet 100%?

SaraKat

Skylark Collaborator

Smoking and alcoholism always spring to mind. Remember that in many celiacs gluten has addictive properties. People don't realize this, and will make all sorts of interesting rationalizations to keep consuming an addictive substance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

He may be doing damage to his body whether he feels "terrible" afterward or not. I always know when I've had gluten because of a few bothersome but not necessarily knock-me-down symptoms. The symptoms are very clear but they would be "worth it" for once in a while if I didn't realize the physical damage I am most likely doing.

I don't believe one always has to have super-duper, debilitating issues after every glutening as some sort of proof that damage is being done. You know? I understand that it probably seems less urgent a condition if the symptoms are less, but "seems" is the operative word there. I don't believe there's any "halfway" or "sort-of" when it comes to gluten issues. Feeling not quite as bad once in a while does not indicate that at those times, less damage is being done.

Or, as I've heard people say regarding smoking, it's kind of the difference of jumping off only a 10-story building v. a 30-story building.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't have super bad reactions. I could still work and do all the regular stuff I did. I still don't have super bad reactions. But I stay completely gluten free, because it's just silly to knowingly eat something that you know makes you sick.

cassP Contributor

Smoking and alcoholism always spring to mind. Remember that in many celiacs gluten has addictive properties. People don't realize this, and will make all sorts of interesting rationalizations to keep consuming an addictive substance.

totally agree... and i still have gluten cravings that almost are as bad as ciggarette cravings... somedays i just wanna say: "F it" and go get a glutinous pizza hut pan pizza or a happy meal. ya- i needed a diagnosis to really get serious for real.

and food has a much larger hold on me than alcohol. i dont have any addiction to alcohol- i could drink it every day for a month, and have no addiction... and not even touch it for months/years. for me- certain foods & coffee are right up there- JUST UNDERNEATH ciggs :(

bincongo Contributor

This was not my case at all- my blood test was at 4PM on a Tuesday and they called me Thursday morning with the results. Also, the endoscopy was at 7am and right after it the Dr showed me the pictures of the "scalloped intestine". Sure, we had to wait a couple weeks for the path report, but he saw damage right away.

The non confirmed diagnosis is probably OK for people that are super sick and just want to stop eating gluten (but I would still want a confirmed Dx anyway), but someone like me with mild pain that I was dealing with for 9 months needed the final diagnosis.

If my sister has symptoms they are mild just as mine were. If I were told to go gluten free just to feel better I doubt I would take it as serious but with a diagnosis it just seems more real. I didn't have enough symptoms to even go to the doctor so I was diagnosed by accident, going in to have an endoscopy for another reason.

Archived