Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegRie

Sudden Alcohol Intolerance

I've been gluten-free for around 2 months now. Before going gluten-free I didn't drink frequently, but when I did I could drink quite a bit (for my size), drink some water before bed and be fine the next morning. About a month after going gluten-free I drank some tequila. The next day I was so sick-- horrible headache and throwing up. I figured it was just because I had not drank liquor in a while and that I over indulged (although I had never had a hangover or thrown up from alcohol). Then about 2 weeks ago I went to a bacheorette party and had a couple glasses of wine. The next morning I was super sick again. I actually threw up at a restaurant twice, and I was sick almost the entire day.

I was starting to think it was a new intolerance or something but last night I had some gluten-free beer. I only had two with dinner and I drank some water afterwords. Before the night was even over I was throwing up, and now, today, I have a headache and feel nauseous. I've read that some other people have this reaction after going gluten-free. What are you experiences? AND does anyone know why this happens!? I'm so tired of being sick!

Thanks,

Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know why it happens, but it seems to be a common thing. Any amount of alcohol makes me feel like crap--as I'm drinking it, not the next day. Like you, I could drink fine before going gluten free.

I've looked into different reasons for this, but so far nothing's panned out.

there's no reason for alarm, you may just be hypersensitive now... (since going 100% gluten free- i now have stronger reactions to additional intolerances OR maybe our bodies have become more vigilant)

but- maybe you should get your liver checked too by your doc

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(