Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mama2kade

How Much Wheat Does My Child Need To Consume For Blood Test?

My son is 16 months old and was diagnosed with failure to thrive at 9 months. He tested positive for egg and wheat allergy at 12 months and was taken off of egg and wheat at that time and started on pediasure. He began gaining weight and throwing up a lot less. Celiac was suspected but never tested for. We recently took him to the allergist who said that an allergy to wheat was unlikely and we should start giving him wheat. He ate a small piece of wheat toast on Saturday night and was fine and then Cheerios on Sunday morning and was fine. He snacked on some other cereal later in the day and then he ate a wedge of quessadilla on a flour tortilla for dinner last night and as he was just starting his second wedge he threw it all up. Just like he used to throw up before we stopped giving him wheat. We have an appointment with his pediatrician tomorrow and I am just wondering if we need to give him any more wheat in order to do a blood test for celiac tomorrow. I know the test isn't definitive, and I would rather not give him any more wheat, but if I need to for the test I will. Anyone know the answer to this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For adults, the common recommendation is three to four pieces of bread a day for three months. A few days is NOT enough to test for celiac, because the blood tests require enough damage to the intestinal villi that significant amounts of antibodies get through to the bloodstream. That takes a while of accumulating damage.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Don't ya just love doctors!

I believe, if I know what is making my son sick, I'm not going to give it to him. It sounds like you have basically done a food challenge with wheat.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.