Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LittleFrench

Bloody Bm After Gluten?

I have been going gluten free for about 4 months now. Before I started the diet I was having a lot of abdominal pain and blood in my stool (sorry to be so descriptive...) Anyway my dear sweet husband accidentally glutened me about 3 days ago (he feels horrible about it), and I realized it right after having eaten 2 portions of the dinner. I knew to expect the pain again, and of course I have felt really sick, but I've also been having deep red/burgundy colored BM's for 2 days now. I know it's probably due to bleeding in my intestines, but has anyone else had this happen? Should I call my doc or wait a few days and let it pass? In the past when there was blood it was only microscopic so I've never seen evidence of bleeding to this degree... any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have blood in your stool, you should call your Dr. today and see if they can help you. You might have something else going on too and better to be on the safe side of things.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

If you have blood in your stool, you should call your Dr. today and see if they can help you. You might have something else going on too and better to be on the safe side of things.

I agree completely. Don't ignore blood in your poop. Go in and see the doc - it may be nothing, but could just be that the reaction to gluten irritated something ELSE in the intestines that needs to be treated. Please do go in and see your doctor, LittleFrench.

I experience this also after being glutened and it lasts about 3 days. If I am glutened bad enough I will even pass just blood after the D has cleared my system. I didn't have blood in my stool while I was eating gluten daily so it really scared me when it showed up in my second challenge for the endo and in subsequent glutenings. Scopes have shown no serious issues but as mentioned by the other posters it is a good idea to touch base with your doctor to be on the safe side.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)