This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depressed And Sleepy

revenant

revenant Enthusiast

Think i'm around 3 weeks free of gluten (without cheats) and 1 month if including cheats (I cheated 3 weeks ago)

The first week I felt better than any other time in my life, energetic, was running a lot, getting things done and picking things up that I had dropped.

Now it's been about 2 weeks where I am unenergized and depressed. It's not the same kind of depression as when I was on gluten, or the same fatigue. On gluten it felt like I was being robbed of energy and tired beyond what I was doing, and my depression was violent with anxiety and anger, physically in my body.

Now i'm in more of a 'lost' zone. I feel as if I have no energy to be robbed of. I wake up and go back to bed, and then sleep all day. I never had much of a life because I've been suffering with anxiety very badly and extreme avoidance issues, but before this fog I could atleast get myself to go for a walk or enjoy the little things. Now I just don't enjoy anything, and I cry like 4 times a day but it's a different kind of crying than my incessive crying on gluten... it's a more honest crying, lighter, less angry... but more sincere in hopelessness.

I keep hearing about withdrawal but then I hear about people who didn't go through any and it makes me wonder whether this is just who I am or whether this is some kind of emotional withdrawal. I don't have any other ill effects unless I eat something accidentally.. Only this sleepiness and severe depression. Then again, maybe I'm just noticing it more now that the brain fog of gluten is gone.. does it go away?

Edit: I should add that I've been depressed all of my life, but at least I could wake up and look forward to the unknown drugs in my food. That made me happy. Now there's nothing. That could be it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I don't recall if you have had your essential nutrient levels checked, especially Vits D, B12, folate, and potassium, magnesium and zinc. Deficiencies in any of these can really affect your mood.

revenant Enthusiast

I had them checked a month ago, they said all was fine. I wasn't feeling as bad at that time, maybe I should go again

mushroom Proficient

Make sure you get a copy of your results, as low "normal" can really be deficient as far as your body's needs., especially for the gluten intolerants.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It may also be withdrawl. What you are describing is very similiar to what I experienced when I went through withdrawl. For me it just one day lifted, hopefully if it is withdrawl you will wake up soon and it will be gone. Do get the report on the vitamin levels also as sometimes, as mentioned, the levels can be really low and doctors will still call the levels 'normal'. For example my B12 levels were 261 when tested since the lower level was 250 my doctor said it was fine but suggested I go ahead and try the sublingual B12 anyway. It made a big difference really quick when I did.

cassP Contributor

YES always get your results yourself... within range may still not be good enough!!! my sis in law had B12 WITHIN range but in the 200s... she ended up in the emergency room with peripheal neuropathy and panic attacks.. so, good to see the numbers yourself.

and check your thyroid & adrenals too.

revenant Enthusiast

I think it is partly deficiencies and partly withdrawal

I was feeling SO tired today, I slept 11 hours and then took a nap and then just stayed in bed all day

and then I had a sudden urge to "cheat", lucky I only cheated with nightshades and nothing worse like gluten or lactose so I have minor symptoms. But most of my fatigue is gone. Which leads me to believe that a lot of the fatigue is withdrawal.

I am getting a tingling sensation in my hip lately, 34/7. Could this be b12 deficiency?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Warning!!! Lecture coming up...

YOU MUST resist this urge to cheat. You do have the willpower to do it and you won't get better until you do!!. End of lecture.

revenant Enthusiast

I've never been one to have willpower but I understand the importance.

Unfortunately food used to be my means of self harm and those ways of thinking creep back sometimes...

A lot of the time it's because I start thinking that I could be making it all up (my family tells me every day I am even though I know I am not) leading me to think 'maybe I should cheat to reassure that I'm not making it all up"

So your mini lecture will keep me thinking realistically, when my mind starts to doubt! A mini thankyou for your mini lecture

Archived