This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Disapointed...

Bigbread

Bigbread Rookie

Damn, I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I am sorry you didn't get the definitive answer you wanted :( So many of us don't. But hey, if the gluten free diet makes you recover, then isn't that an answer in itself?? :) And whoever told you you could eat rye ought to be shot because the gluten in rye is the same as the gluten in wheat, as is the gluten in barley. Some celiacs tolerate certified gluten free oats; some do not.

If you have itching and burning and red patches that scar when they heal, that really does sound suspiciously like dermatitis herpetiformis, which is the skin form of celiac disease. People with DH will often test negative on the blood tests. The way to test for dermatitis herpetiformis is to find a dermatologist who is familiar with it, and who will take a biopsy adjacent to (not ON) the lesion, because the antibodies will be found in the adjacent tissue. A diagnosis of DH is a diagnosis of celiac. What have your doctors said about these red patches that scar? Do they have little blisters in them? Has anyone given you a diagnosis of what they are? Maybe that should be explored - it could give you your definitive answer.

Dixiebell Contributor

Hi Bigbread. Have you been to a derm. for a biopsy of that rash? Sounds like you could possibly have DH. If you have DH then you have celiac. If you can get a biopsy, they need to do it beside the break out not the break out itself.

Bigbread Rookie

Thanks for the posts.

My skin has been diagnosed with acne. It doesn't matter what my skin looks like Dermatologists(are the worst- been to 6) say all forms of skin problems are acne and food does not cause skin problems. Expect Exzema should not drink milk. They even refuse tests and wont' listen to other symptoms. Even when I got a bad reaction to homeopathic meds that caused my skin to scar I was told its acne. I honestly dont think they know what to do if the 3 acne meds dont work. Which I can tell you it doesn't on me.

The worst part is honelty the part where they dismiss me as if I'm a todler then I know they have no idea what they are looking at. I've been to 25 docters in total. So I am really tired. If this doesnt work I don't know what will.

mushroom Proficient

I know what you mean about dermatologists, they suck - I won't go back to mine; I hate that woman! She told me not to stop a medication I was taking for my RA even though it was making my psoriasis so much worse. Ha, what did she care? It was no skin off her nose, only mine :blink::lol:

Seriously, though, will no one take you seriously? Do you have someone who could go to the appointment with you and be an advocate for you, and not allow the doctor to be so dismissive? It is so ridiculous so say that food does not cause skin problems; almost all my skin problems (except the cancers :o ) have been caused by food. What a bunch of bunk. I think doctors become dermatologists because they aren't bright enough to be anything else :rolleyes: Okay, end of dermatologist rant.

Skylark Collaborator

If you go off gluten and all your problems go away, that will have to be a "diagnosis". Actually what you describe could be more allergic than celiac and the definitive test for allergies is elimination and challenge. Try the diet and see what happens. good luck!

cassP Contributor

i had Excema on my foot for 5 years- it itched so bad i would scratch till it bled.. it was horrific. it went away when i took wheat out of my diet a decade ago... not milk.

your diet can most definitely affect your skin. i hope you find the answers you want and feel better :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarni Rookie

Hi Bigbread, yes Damn indeed! I

Monklady123 Collaborator

Yep, just go gluten-free and if you feel better then that's your "diagnosis". I've opted not to have the endoscopy because I don't want to go through several months of eating gluten every day. For me it's simple -- if I eat gluten I feel awful, if I don't then I feel good.

Archived