Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AJoy

Hair Loss...?

I am new at this and have been seeing a lot about hair loss lately. Since I can remember I have been a profuse shedder - especially in the shower. I don't have bald spots or anything of the sort and unfortunately haven't ever noticed any thinning either. I always thought this to be somewhat normal for a girl with ultra thick long hair - is this in fact what people mean by hair loss in relation to celiac disease? I also had my thyroid checked when I was originally tested for Celiac about a month ago and it came back normal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am new at this and have been seeing a lot about hair loss lately. Since I can remember I have been a profuse shedder - especially in the shower. I don't have bald spots or anything of the sort and unfortunately haven't ever noticed any thinning either. I always thought this to be somewhat normal for a girl with ultra thick long hair - is this in fact what people mean by hair loss in relation to celiac disease? I also had my thyroid checked when I was originally tested for Celiac about a month ago and it came back normal.

I have long hair (just past shoulders) and was losing handfuls of hair in the shower before I got my celiac diagnosis. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis so it could be related to that, but the hair loss was one of my first problems to leave when I started the gluten free diet!

My hair stylist noticed this about my hair too a few months ago. I think over the past year I've just been slowly loosing hair whenever I wash it or comb or brush it, regardless of knots. Fortunately I have a ton of hair and nobody really notices it except for me and my hair lady. I'm just assuming it was from malnutrition and I'm hoping that soon it will go away.

Gluten Free since 11/2010

Dairy Free since 01/2011

I also have long thick hair. I think long thick dark hair is just more noticable wrapped around a ponytail, on the bathroom floor, or in the shower drain. I never noticed thinning patches or clumps of hair falling out while on gluten. 3 months after going gluten free, my hair in the front center of my head started getting thin and my hairdresser commented on the amount of hair I was loosing. It turns out that after your body goes through a major stressor (illness, pregnancy, environmental, and aparently for me starting a gluten-free diet), the hair roots shift together into a neutral non-growing state. Then 3 months later, they naturally fall out and start the process of growing new hairs. It is a normal process that all the hairs on your head go through at some time or another, but usually not all at once. My thyroid is fine, and the hair grew back. I just went for a side part or pulled back while the hair was recovering. Now, I'm pregnant and my hair has stopped falling out almost entirely. I expect that after the 3 month dormancy period, my hair will be falling out in handfuls again. Probably just about time for delivery.

Get your thyroid tested, but if that is negative and you don't have other issues, consider waiting 6-9 months for the new growth to fill in. Buy one of those thick headbands. I got lots of compliments.

Yes, I had hair loss. I have long think and curly hair. I will also have some loss but it was getting out of control for a while before I figured out what was wrong with me and went gluten-free. Hair loss has slowed big time but when I get glutened, it's back with full force.

I have had handfuls of hair during shampooing. Apparently for me it's alopecia. Probably related to my fibromyalgia, or not, who knows? I have yet to have any bald spots, and it does seem to grow back. Shedding seasons just seem to be extreme sometimes. I have found two things helpful. Vitamins (B's including sublingual methylcobalamin) and monitoring my stress levels. Also quit using shampoos with SLS and excessive alcohols.

Hair loss for me has been a constant for years, with illness, with antibiotic use, and then really bad for no particular reason, I thought. Turns out it was gluten. My hair became very thin and sparse around my front hairline, like a lol, and I thought, heck, I'm not that old. Since gluten free it has grown back in again.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

I have thick, curly hair and have always noticed that it seems like it sheds more than normal. I wasn't sure if it was anything to worry about or not. I always seem to have a lot of hair get caught in my brush and have to clean the shower drain every day. My fiance is always picking stray hairs off of my clothes. I'm just starting my journey with the gluten free diet, so hopefully it will help. It never looks like my hair is missing, but it does make a mess.

Jessica

"One person can make a difference, and everyone should try."- JFK

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant- December 2010

Lactose intolerant- since childhood

I lost a ton of hair when I first started to get sick, it started to grow back after about 3 or 4 months of being gluten free and is now back to normal. My fingernails grow much faster now too.