Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

churchlady

Are My Symptoms Test-Worthy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

but was told immediately after the endo that no celiac was found (could dr. know immediately?).

No, Celiac can't be seen with the naked eye. It's seen in a lab under a microscope.

Silly doctors.

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

Welcome to the forum churchlady!

I think you should have the celiac blood tests done and also testing for vitamin/mineral levels while you are there. There are several people on this board who were/are overweight. You do not have to be skinny to have celiac.

celiac tests to ask your Dr. for:

Total iga serum

Tissue Transglutamas Iga & Igg

Antigliadin Iga & Igg

Endomysial Antibodies.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Hi Churchlady, Welcome to the forums.

Your symptoms sound like you have a gluten intolerance if not Celiac itself, the problem though is sometimes the tests can be negative and you still show symptoms. So, after all your testing is done go gluten free. That will be the best test.

As for overweight, I am 5 ft 2 and when I found myself going gluten free I was 205. None of the dr's believed that gluten was the cause of all my problems. I had weighed that since I was 14 yrs old. I am now 155! Yea!

But, that could also be becaue I am what we on the forum here call super sensitive. I react to gluten free foods as well as shared lines, etc. So I eat just plain meats, some veggies, brown rice, some fruits and nuts. I found I have several other food intolerances as well. It can be done and hang in there.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Thanks very much for your replies. I will see if I can convince my small town Dr. to do those tests on me. The town's surgeon actually laughed at me when I suggested celiac's, he's the one who did the endo on me, and it was from him that I got my negative 'result'.

I guess I'll continue to eat gluten till I get the tests, but I'm awfully tempted to do without it again to see if the symptoms subside once more. One thing I've noticed in the last year or so: I cannot STAND the smell of whole wheat bread. The bread aisle smell almost literally makes me sick. Anyone else notice that?

One thing I've noticed in the last year or so: I cannot STAND the smell of whole wheat bread. The bread aisle smell almost literally makes me sick. Anyone else notice that?

There is a local store I shop at that also has an in-house bakery right next to dairy and I hate the smells that waft from it. I can't say that it almost makes me sick, but I do find those smells to be offensive.

Sylvia

Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009

Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010

Gluten Free - April 9, 2010