Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

compucajun

"Trusted" Companies

I know that ConAgra and Kraft will put wheat, rye or barley in () after an additive that contains that product. And I realize I MUST read the lablel EVERY TIME I purchase the product.

Are there any other "trusted" companies? Is there a list of those?

THANKS

Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here is a post with some useful links, including the one you are looking for.

Unsafe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Safe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Hope this helps.

Ingredients change all the time, so lists of products become outdated very quickly. These lists remain valid over time. In my ten years at this, no company has backed away from their gluten labeling policy. Hershey has become somewhat evasive, and some don't trust them anymore.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Here is a post with some useful links, including the one you are looking for.

Ingredients change all the time, so lists of products become outdated very quickly. These lists remain valid over time. In my ten years at this, no company has backed away from their gluten labeling policy. Hershey has become somewhat evasive, and some don't trust them anymore.

THANKS! I'm working my way through the maze of living gluten-free. I've had Celiac symptoms ALL my life, but no one could figure out what was up. When I finally had an endscopy, I had NO villa and fishers in my small intestine.

I feel so much better since I started this about 4 months ago, even though I'm not real good at it yet. I was "glutenated" this weekend, I'm trying to figure out when. The main thing, though, I AM BETTER!

I know that ConAgra and Kraft will put wheat, rye or barley in () after an additive that contains that product. And I realize I MUST read the lablel EVERY TIME I purchase the product.

Are there any other "trusted" companies? Is there a list of those?

THANKS

Janet

Is your ConAgra information current? I've seen information from 2006 or so that said they labeled gluten used in their products, but then the information on their website a month ago didn't seem to agree with that, at least not the way I'm reading it. This is what they have up, at least as of last month:

Which of your products contain gluten?

We are sorry to inform you that we do not have a source that lists the gluten content of our products. However, our product labels list common allergens, such as wheat, for those allergic to wheat gluten.

I don't see how they can have the above statement and at the same time claim to list all gluten on their products, you know?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Is your ConAgra information current? I've seen information from 2006 or so that said they labeled gluten used in their products, but then the information on their website a month ago didn't seem to agree with that, at least not the way I'm reading it. This is what they have up, at least as of last month:

We are sorry to inform you that we do not have a source that lists the gluten content of our products. However, our product labels list common allergens, such as wheat, for those allergic to wheat gluten.

I don't see how they can have the above statement and at the same time claim to list all gluten on their products, you know?

They don't have a list, because ingredients change frequently.

They will clearly label all sources of gluten. That includes wheat, the example they mentioned, but also includes barely, oat and rye.

Read the label. Gluten will be clearly disclosed. If you don't see it, it isn't there. The information on the label is accurate. A list may not reflect current ingredients.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

What ConAgra is trying to say here is that they don't have a master list of "Gluten Free" products. The list would be too lengthy, take too much time, and would change all the time, most likely. What they have done is to guarantee us that they will always disclose sources of gluten on the product label. As long as you read your labels and avoid products with gluten ingredients listed, you'll be safe :) Hope this helps!

Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

i had a SEVERE allergic reaction to a frozen meal made by Conagra (hives & stomach throbbing)... i called them- and they were very knowledgeable and nice- located the product i had, and reassured me there was no product form wheat, barley, or rye in there. so they knew what they were talking about.

my reaction had nothing to do with gluten but just from all the other junk in there (High Fructose corn syrup, High Maltose corn syrup, Soy protein isolate,etc etc)

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(