This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yukky Question

Cookie

Cookie Newbie

Hi all,

I've made a search of peoples' previous posts but can't find anything that answers my question and was hoping that some wise soul might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Since starting the gluten-free diet I've had the 'exciting opportunity' to try food that I normally wouldn't eat. I've never been a big fan of nuts, but I've discovered a really great tasting gluten-free muesli that I am now eating every morning.

My question concerns the fact that some of this muesli seems to go um... 'undigested', into the toilet bowl (sorry if this is a bit graphic.) The packaging lists various nuts, seeds and dried fruits, but nothing that I know of that is difficult to digest.

Can anyone tell me whether this is 'normal'? I've never eaten enough of this type of food before to know whether there's something wrong with my insides or whether this happens to everyone who eats this stuff. Could it indicate that there are ingredients that my body can't tolerate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2old4 Rookie

Cookie-

Hi, I've had similar experiences with certain types of foods, such as nuts, corn, or anything with a skin on it. This is something that I had before going gluten-free and since. I know my Mother has the same (Celiac suspect....long story) Do you have any pain with it? -Patty

Guest nini
(sorry if this is a bit graphic.)

if you can't be a bit graphic HERE about bowel movements then where can you? LOL!

Not poking fun, I just found that amusing.

I have the same thing happen too, mostly with corn and some other odd grains in my Orgran Muesli... I think that those particular items are more difficult to digest, and those of us with compromised digestive systems already, just have a harder time with it. JMHO...

gf4life Enthusiast

I agree with the others here that what your eating could be hard to digest. Can I ask how long you have been gluten free?? Sometimes when you are healing it is best to eat easy to digest things. I mean, honestly, what is the point of even eating if the food just passes through you whole! :huh: I used to have this happen to me with nuts and seeds, but it rarely happens anymore. Mostly just with whole flax seeds that are in my protein bars. If I don't bite down on each and every seed, the whole ones pass right through. I'm not worried about my digestion with those. The shell on the flax seed is non digestible to humans, that is why they recommend you grind the flax seeds before eating them...

Now my middle boy was the one who had the most intestinal damage, and he used to have whole food in his diapers all the time! That kinda worried me then. That was before I even knew what gluten was.

You could try taking some digestive enzymes with your meal. Also, make sure that you chew the Muesli very well.

God bless,

Mariann

Cookie Newbie

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets this!

Patty: I don't get any pain with it. I just found it somewhat disconcerting and was concerned that there may be yet *more* problems waiting to be discovered.

Mariann: I'm still a newbie to the whole 'gluten free lifestyle' :) I've been *strictly* avoiding gluten for the past fourteen weeks and I feel absolutely fantastic. I've self diagnosed through a dietary challenge which I know isn't strong enough evidence for a lot of people to adopt the gluten-free diet. But, coupled with other factors like my family's history of gut problems, my diagnosed lactose intolerance, and my personal repsonse to being gluten-free, I am absolutely convinced I've struck gold.

Many of my life-long ailments have all but cleared up in the space of three months: I've had nasty acne since the age of twelve (I'm now twenty-six) - today I haven't a single blemish on my whole body! I've also not had a single break-out of hives since being gluten-free. And of course there's the more generic stuff like my mind feeling much 'clearer', feeling more energetic all-round, and I've put on some weight!

I'm so glad resources like celiac.com exist to help people get to grips with the change in lifestyle required to be truely gluten-free. I consider myself lucky that I have experienced a relatively rapid improvement compared to some, and that I continue to see improvements each day. I've had times in my life where I've been so desperate to see some improvement, and I know how upsetting and painful it can be to feel that you're getting nowhere. The best advice I could offer to others is simply not to give up trying. Because of my appearance I've been somewhat of a 'leper' for the last fourteen years of my life - but just yesterday *I* was approached by a woman - it really does seem that there's a first time for everything!

Again, many thanks for your replies.

Cookie Newbie

Oh, and for anyone who's interested - I completely messed it up!

Baby steps... :)

gf4life Enthusiast

John,

Do you mean that you accidently ate gluten? Is that what you mean by "completely messed it up"? If so, that is normal. We all try to be 100% gluten-free, but accidents happen...

I had a feeling that you might be new on the diet. If there was many years of damage then it can take more than a couple months to be able to digest everything. I would go easy on the harder to digest foods for a little while, and maybe try some digestive enzymes. I like Pioneer brand Digestive Enzymes and Herbs. They were a lifesaver for me when I first went gluten-free, and even now I use them whenever something isn't digesting right (or when I accidently get gluten and my digestive system practically shuts down!).

God bless,

Mariann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cookie Newbie

Actually, I meant that I messed up the encounter with the woman who approached me :)

I don't want to make light of the gluten-free issue because I realise that many people find it difficult to adjust, but I've personally found it relatively easy to adapt. It seems as long as you take the time to read the labels of the food you are buying you will be okay.

I admit that there isn't a great deal to choose from on the processed food front; but if you're buying the ingredients yourself and preparing the meal with your own two hands then there's *no chance* of being glutenated (unless you're part of a household that eats gluten items.)

I've tried so many hair-brained schemes in my time that this really doesn't feel like a chore. In fact, I quite enjoy eating all of these 'new' foods. I'm also happy that my culinary skills have gone from non-existant to not-bad-at-all!

Just a shame about the whole restaurant/eating out thing. I've read about some local venues that cater for celiacs but I'd be so dubious about putting anything in my mouth for fear of contamination that I think it would take all the fun out of it.

Still, seems like a fair trade to me: health, energy and happiness in exchange for foods containing gluten.

jenvan Collaborator

John- I have been gluten-free for 5 months, and I still get undigested food passing through. It could partially mean we still have healing to go (I know I still do)...and I think it is normal for some seeds to pass through your body, like corn... But I have all types of food that sometimes remain "undigested" ! :unsure:

gf4life Enthusiast
Still, seems like a fair trade to me: health, energy and happiness in exchange for foods containing gluten.

John, I completely agree!

Sorry I misunderstood about the encounter with the woman...Oh well, next time. ;)

It probably caught you completely off guard. Next time you'll be ready. :D

God bless,

Mariann

egardner Newbie

I'm with you, people always say, "I couldn't do that" and "How do you ever do that?" It's not really that hard, and I have to admit, being prepared has proven to be a hell of a lot easier for me than knowing where every bathroom in my city is ;) Gets a little easier every day, and my health continues to improve. That makes all the reading worth it!!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Cookie-

I agree to. It's pretty easy for me as well. Once you know what to look for on labels and brands you can buy and so forth it's very simple. It was hard at first so I can understand people having difficulty with it though.

And don't worry about messing it up with that girl that approached you. B)

ianm Apprentice
Actually, I meant that I messed up the encounter with the woman who approached me :)

Been there, done that. It takes time to get the hang of it and I'm still working on it too but I am seeing improvements.

julie5914 Contributor

This is funny - corn and nuts I believe have the same effect on everyone. My sister and I had the most hilarious conversation once about how come corn comes out whole when you are absolutely sure you chewed it when you ate it! :lol:

Archived