alevoy18

Confused With Recent Labs

Rate this topic

Originally in 2009, I had a tTg test come back at 60 (ref range under 20). After this I had a biopsy which showed moderate villous atrophy and increased IEL (Marsh 3B). I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease on Nov 15, 2009. So I have been gluten free for about 15 months. Recently I have been seeing a neurologist due to autonomic issues. He told me usually the Antigliadin antibodies will give a guideline if there is nerve damage. The test came back as:

Anti IGA - 11 (ref range < 20)

Anti IGG - 23 (ref range < 20)

Does this show that I am following my gluten free diet well, since my antibodies are low? The thing that confuses me is I was worried some gluten was sneaking in because last month my tTG came back at 56, which is a small fall from 60 over such a long period of time. Why would tTG still be slightly high but IGA is normal? My total IGA is normal as well, had that tested recently. Could Celiac have been the wrong diagnosis?

Thanks a lot.

Adam

I'd bet on continued low exposure. The tests are very convincingly positive.

You've probably read it, but...

- drop processed foods

- drop dairy

- consider avoiding soy

- replace items that are potential for contamination like scratched pans/plastic/woods

- toiletries

- workplace exposure?

- pet foods?

- shared kitchen contamination?

- contamination from eating out?

Thanks for the advice, I will take a look into what you mentioned.

What I really curious about is that most people say anti IGA will show you compliance to diet. That came back normal. But why would tTG still be high, shouldn't those two both one way or another if you have normal total IGA levels. IGA and even IGG are not that bad, but tTG is still 3 times the normal limit.

Thanks again.

I'd bet on continued low exposure. The tests are very convincingly positive.

You've probably read it, but...

- drop processed foods

- drop dairy

- consider avoiding soy

- replace items that are potential for contamination like scratched pans/plastic/woods

- toiletries

- workplace exposure?

- pet foods?

- shared kitchen contamination?

- contamination from eating out?

Ditto. Also some of us with neurological issues have to be very strict to have those resolve. It does sound like you have gluten sneaking in somewhere. Do you have a significant other who eats gluten? If you do are you having him/her brush their teeth before intimate kissing? If not you should as that can gluten you. Also you should avoid baking with wheat flour for others as that can be an issue because it becomes airborne and is inhaled in.

Thanks again for the reply. I didn't know about the airborne issue. My fiance is on a gluten diet, but we have seperate everything. I do cook for her sometimes though, as I made her cookies today actually. I will have to remind myself of this in the future. Thank you both for the tips.

I never had my antigliadin antibodies tested originally, I just had tTG and then the biopsy. Here are all the tests I've done and the order:

Nov 2009

-------

tTG 60 (range <20)

biopsy (Marsh 3B)

GLUTEN FREE DIET STARTED

Dec 2010

--------

tTG 56 (range <20)

Total Serum IGA/IGG - Both normal

Jan 2011

---------

Antigliadin IGA 11 (range <20)

Antigliadin IGG 23 (range <23)

I would think if my tTG is still high a little over a month ago, my anti IGA should be high as well. Also if I was still getting gluten in there, wouldn't the IGA be up as well since I am not IGA deficient? Also since even my IGG is not too high, just a little bit, why would my tTG still be triple the normal? Sorry, I just wanted to brain storm and get some ideas to why. Thanks a lot.

Originally in 2009, I had a tTg test come back at 60 (ref range under 20). After this I had a biopsy which showed moderate villous atrophy and increased IEL (Marsh 3B). I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease on Nov 15, 2009. So I have been gluten free for about 15 months. Recently I have been seeing a neurologist due to autonomic issues. He told me usually the Antigliadin antibodies will give a guideline if there is nerve damage. The test came back as:

Anti IGA - 11 (ref range < 20)

Anti IGG - 23 (ref range < 20)

Does this show that I am following my gluten free diet well, since my antibodies are low? The thing that confuses me is I was worried some gluten was sneaking in because last month my tTG came back at 56, which is a small fall from 60 over such a long period of time. Why would tTG still be slightly high but IGA is normal? My total IGA is normal as well, had that tested recently. Could Celiac have been the wrong diagnosis?

Thanks a lot.

Adam

no, your Celiac dx is the right one. im not sure why your ttg only dropped to 56... you must still be getting gluten in somehow... i hope you can figure out if you are.

and to clarify- your ANTIGLIADIN IGA were normal. and your ANTIGLIADIN IGG were slightly elevated. these are completely different antibodies than the TTG.

now your TTG test & result is also in the form of IGA or IGG.. but i dont see that on your result.

TTG Iga & TTG Igg are the Tissue Transglutamase Antibodies- and they really have nothing to do with your Antigliadin numbers. they both involve gluten, but they are different antibodies.

did that make sense? so ya, you could totally have high ttg (iga or igg), and have normal antigliadin iga and elevated antigliadin igg.

Think of of this way:

The tTg measures how much gut damage you have (the transglutaminase is leaking into your blood stream) and the anti gluten/gliadin measures how much gluten you're eating. So you've stopped eating gluten (good) and your gut is just now starting to heal.