heatherjane

Msn Article

Rate this topic

I was expecting the same write-off of the gluten free diet as a fad. Was pleasantly surprised...

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/digestive-health/heartburn-and-gerd/psg-articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100268225&gt1=31014

Not too bad MSN! I lost a ton of weight eating gluten and have been putting it on since going gluten-free, so no it is NOT necessarily low carb. But whatever, if Gwyneth Paltrow means that gluten-free products get on the shelves and are cheaper because more people want them, who am I to burst their bubble? :)

It wasn't too bad because they quoted Dr Fasano, but then they had to ruin it with Professional Registered Dietician Speak. again.

What's really at work: Gluten-free dining can seriously limit the number of foods you can eat. With fewer choices, you're a lot less likely to overeat, says Shelley Case, R.D., author of Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide and a medical advisory board member for the Celiac Disease Foundation.

Besides the hassle, you can end up with serious nutritional deficiencies. "Gluten-free doesn't necessarily equal healthy, especially when people yank vitamin-enriched and wholegrain foods from their diets and replace them with gluten free brownies," says (Shelly) Case. In fact, research suggests that those who forgo gluten may be more likely to miss out on important nutrients such as iron, B vitamins, and fiber.

Yes, that's us, just stuffing ourselves silly with gluten free rice flour and sugar brownies and skipping the 500 calorie white bleached flour bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. :angry::ph34r::blink:

Would somebody tell this woman that those of us who forgo their intestinal villi don't get any iron or B vitamins either, and that fiber is NOT a nutrient, technically ? :huh: And we're NOT all malnourished ?!

• Upvote 2

I'm beginning to develop quite "a thing" about Ms. Case :angry:

• Upvote 2

It wasn't too bad because they quoted Dr Fasano, but then they had to ruin it with Professional Registered Dietician Speak. again.

Yes, that's us, just stuffing ourselves silly with gluten free rice flour and sugar brownies and skipping the 500 calorie white bleached flour bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. :angry::ph34r::blink:

Would somebody tell this woman that those of us who forgo their intestinal villi don't get any iron or B vitamins either, and that fiber is NOT a nutrient, technically ? :huh: And we're NOT all malnourished ?!

I guess I must have overlooked her statement because I was thinking of it in terms of addressing people who are going gluten free for the sake of weight loss or just being healthier, when they really don't need to.

But, you make a good point.