MEH

I Think It Might Be Gluten!

Rate this topic

Hello All,

For the first time in 48 years, I think I may have discovered what is wrong with me! I'll keep it short, but please let me know if any of these symptoms sound familiar?

*Didn't really feel well growing up. Fatigue, depression, thin, late puberty. Just learned to live with it.

*B-12 Deficiency discovered in my 30's. MS-like symptoms for many years. Sensitivity to many things, including over the counter drugs and pharmeceuiticals. Insomnia began. General feeling of fatigue, "not feeling well," hypo-glycemia at times, struggled with weight at times (too thin) although now in my 40's I am really gaining weight---too much in fact. Often "foggy brained", poor memory..alternating episodes of this. Loose or "mushy" stools (sorry!) Diagnosed as allergic to pollen, dust and mold in my 40's.

*Here's how I began wondering/pinpointing gluten: Two things happened. I went on an international trip and had no bread for two weeks and was eating mostly vegetables, some meat and drinking a lot of water and I felt fantastic! There wasn't a lot of bread offered there but an abundance of fresh veggies.

And recently, on an empty stomach, I stopped and had a piece of pizza and immediately felt horrible for the rest of the day. The fog brain started. Stomach hurt. When I thought about it, this often happened when I ate pizza, especially on an empty stomach. And when I thought about it some more, I realized that in my own way, I tended to avoid bread quite often--almost naturally---like when I'd go out to dinner, I wouldn't indulge in the bread basket. But it wasn't a "conscious" decision. Was constantly gassy for a few months, and one day made a sandwich at home and noticed the gas started right away.

My father had a lot of weird allergies. Wouldn't suprise me that I followed suit.

Notice that I have a lot of sensitivities-or an over reactive central nervous system. Sensitive to light, sound, drugs, alcohol, sleep, stress, etc.

As you can see, it might be hard for me to pinpoint gluten, and I'm not certain it is the cause of all of my problems.....but I'm really starting to wonder and investigate.

Any thoughts/ideas you can throw out there would be most appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you could have celiac or a gluten intolerance. Have you had any testing for celiac? If you are planning to, make sure you are eating plenty of gluten filled foods so you can get the best possible results. If you don't feel you could eat that much you can always just start gluten-free and see if your symptoms start to go away. A lot of people feel that is the best test anyway. Many Dr.s will not diagnose you based on diet change alone, so you have to do what you feel is best for yourself.

Thanks for answering!

I forgot to mention that I have asthma as well and acid reflux. Also, occassional bladder problems (UTI-like problems). What a mess I am! :)

I'm trying to stay away from gluten and see if I feel better...which I do already. If I suspect this is it, then I will go to my doctor, start eating gluten again and get tested.

Have a great day..

Thanks for answering!

I forgot to mention that I have asthma as well and acid reflux. Also, occassional bladder problems (UTI-like problems). What a mess I am! :)

I'm trying to stay away from gluten and see if I feel better...which I do already. If I suspect this is it, then I will go to my doctor, start eating gluten again and get tested.

Have a great day..

May I suggest if your going to get tested, Keep eating gluten and get tested now ,before going gluten free.

May I suggest if your going to get tested, Keep eating gluten and get tested now ,before going gluten free.

I couldn't agree with this more strongly. People don't realize that if you stop eating gluten and then resume it, for most of us the reaction is much stronger, to the point of being totally intolerable for most, and they stop eating gluten before they have been on it long enough to be tested. It's not like you can just gluten up the day before testing :( - you have to go back on for two to three months at the equivalent of three to four slices of bread a day to make sufficient antibodies to be tested in the bloodstream, and to redestroy your partially healed small intestine for the biopsies to be positive. It is not an easy proposition. Much better to get the testing now :)

Wow, I just found out I might be Celiac too. Funny thing is my doctor figured it out. I have been complaining of stomach and intestinal problems for years. My doctor asked me questions that I didn't put together now as Celiac dianosis questions. He gave me the Celiac panel blood tests. One came back positive. So I am so glad he took the time on me. I think I was out of Ideas. Hope you can get come Celiac test done.

I didn't test, but wanted to let you know that all of your symptoms matched mine including UTI spasms and ALL have resolved on being gluten free.

I hope this is true for you as well.

• Upvote 1