Kimbalou

Gluten Free Wheat!

Rate this topic

I bought some cookies that were labelled gluten free but there were 2 ingredient labels and one listed wheat flour!! So, I called the company and they reassured me that there was only corn flour in the cookies. They used a pre-labeled "generic" bag they had, so the wheat was listed by mistake. So, I told my darling hubby the story and he said "well, isn't there gluten free wheat flour?". Yikes...I thought he understood that I have to stay away from wheat...but I guess he thought there was gluten-free wheat. Would be inteersting if that existed!

I don't know how much I would trust those cookies.

• Upvote 1

I hear you. The cookies are brown. I really think they are just corn flour. My daughter likes them, and actually I didn't care for them much. They were only $2 a bag, so that was nice. I was just surprised at my husband's comment. Kinda funny.

I doubt this is what your husband was thinking of, but I have heard that in Europe they are working on taking out gluten from wheat! Maybe they have managed it? I was trying to find a link to refresh my memory and can't find it anymore.

Although honestly, it seems SO stupid. Honestly, the gluten is why wheat is so great to use. If it's gluten free, it's probably going to be killer expensive because of the processing AND will make any wheat allergic folks, so what would be the point?

A little wheat flavor but still a crummy texture? Silly.

My brother called me up the other day while he was at the store. He decided to try being gluten free and asked me if white flour had gluten in it...LOL

Sounds like you need to sit hubby down and give him a stern but educating talking-to. Maybe with visualizations and musical numbers.

(Of course, my own father asked me if milk had gluten in it. :blink: )

I had a waitress insist they didn't use wheat as they only had pancakes! Amazing how uninformed "we" are about our foods!

I told a waitress one time that I had a gluten allergy, and she replied with "So you are allergic to dairy?"...