Scott Adams

Mouse Study Suggests New Clues to Celiac Disease - BusinessWeek

Rate this topic

6.jpg

Mother Nature Network

Mouse Study Suggests New Clues to Celiac Disease

BusinessWeek

9 (HealthDay News) -- A key discovery into how celiac disease develops may pave the way toward preventing this painful digestive disorder in those most at ...

Immune Imbalance May Cause Celiac Disease, Study Shows Daily Health Report

New study focuses on cause of celiac disease Sify

Celiac disease has major effects San Bernardino Sun

WebMD  - Reuters India  - EurekAlert (press release)

all 37 news articles »

View the full article

Wow, sounds like if I was a mouse I would be all set with a treatment for celiac disease! Squeak squeak! :D

Pretty darn interesting article for sure.

Not so fast.

They've managed to breed a strain of mice that react to vitamin A.

We aren't mice.

Pharma manufacturers will then try to sell you a biologic drug they create to then really, really screw up your immune system's reaction to the problem.

Read the stats and black label warning boxes on the current biologics that the medical profession uses to treat inflammatory arthritis. Almost no risk with eating a gluten free diet, versus all sorts of risks with those.

This is a pretty interesting study. I'm curious to see what falls out of it, particularly since there already seems to be some ties between Isotretinoin (aka Accutane aka 13-cis retinoic acid) and inflammatory bowel disease (see the study below).

Reddy D, Siegel CA, Sands BE, Kane S (2006). "Possible association between isotretinoin and inflammatory bowel disease". The American journal of gastroenterology 101 (7): 1569

Forgive me for having one of those CRS moments, but somewhere yesterday I read on a link that the incidence of celiac has also really gone up ever since the increased use of artificial hormones for birth control.... aye yi yi now if that ever really panned out and gets researched to show any correlation, there is gonna be some fall out !

My theory is we all survived our lousy childhoods (thanks to antibiotics) and lived long enough to reproduce, and I'm sticking to it ! ;)