Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cO_ol

Simple Stew Without Processed Ingredients?

I wish I could buy a slow cooker or a crock pot in my country !!!!!

There are several types of Dutch Oven/Covered Casserole Dishes that will give the same cooking effects if placed in a low heated oven.

1. Enameled Cast Iron Pot:

261-ec6d53.jpg

2. Covered Non-Stick Pot:

B001AS94XK.jpg

3. Stoneware Covered Dish:

224545.jpg

You could use an Ovenproof Glassware Casserole Dish like 'Pyrex'

It's ok if the handles of the pot are plastic because the temperature is low and the cooking is slow.

Best Regards,

David

There are several types of Dutch Oven/Covered Casserole Dishes that will give the same cooking effects if placed in a low heated oven.

You could use an Ovenproof Glassware Casserole Dish like 'Pyrex'

It's ok if the handles of the pot are plastic because the temperature is low and the cooking is slow.

Best Regards,

David

David, do you have any idea what the oven temp should be?

I had a recipe for " fix it and forget it stew". I think it was 250F for 6 hours. I looked on the Internet for that recipe and found one cooked at 275 and one at 225 for 4-6 hours. Really warms up the kitchen.

David, do you have any idea what the oven temp should be?

Here's lists of cooking temperatures:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-129-/cooking-temperature-and-time.asp

My personal choice for an oven casserole (long cooking 4+ hrs) would be 140C/275F

for longer cooking (7-8 hrs) reduce temp to 115C/240F.

Oven will vary, it's trial and error.

David

Crock pot is the way to go... You don't need recipes, just put in whatever meat, veggies, herbs, spices you like. If you can't have stock, add 1/4 cup of water, the meat and vegie juices will flavour the sauce. If it's too watery, mix in a tablespoon of corn starch towards the end. I usually do slow cooker stews for 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high. So easy and yummy. I freeze left over portions for easy microwave dinners.