sunshinehs

Thick Fluffy Pancakes!

Rate this topic

Every gluten-free pre-packaged mix or scratch recipe I have tried for good old-fashioned pancakes has disappointed me. I get dense, thin cakes that taste ok, but just aren't... pancakes.

But I found the answer accidentally while watching a cooking show. There was some world-famous pancake place that puts whipped-up egg whites in the batter.

So, you whip up egg whites with cream of tartar like your making a meringue (until you get stiff peaks). Then fold it into your batter.

I also add to pre-made pancake mixes:

- a little vanilla (or any extract you're in the mood for)

- a little lemon juice (or lime juice, or triple sec)

- a little extra baking powder

- sugar (for crispy edges)

- cook the cakes with butter (also for crispy edges, and then you just don't butter them on the plate if you're concerned about calories)

I don't have measurements for any of this; I never measure.

Every gluten-free pancake recipie I found resulted in really dry pancakes - they were okay if you at them as soon as they came off the griddle/pan, but within 5 minutes they were disgusting. My solution was to add a bit of ripe banana (approx. 2 tbsp). You don't really taste it, but adds moisture. The pancakes are still good the next day!

We can not do eggs or soy. I once bought a mix and all I had to add was orange juice. The pancakes were great! But I mail ordered the mix and haven't been able to find it since.

Since then I bought a mix that has a vegan recipe. Calls for applesauce instead of the eggs and soymilk instead of milk. We don't do soy either. So I use rice milk. I also add a bit of cinnamon. Comes out really well.

Those are some fabulous baking tips! Thanks so much for posting those. I do the whipping of the eggs trick but I hadn't heard of a few of the other ones. I can't wait to give them a try!

Thanks,

Angie.