hammergirl

Hyperspeed Digestion?

Rate this topic

I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac about two months ago (the full diagnoses, blood tests, the upper endoscopy, everything), and I've been having digestive issues for over a year, and these issues are really the only symptoms that I've experience...thus far at least.

One thing that's really been getting to me is that when I accidentally eat something (gluten has been showing its hidden talents to me the hard way), it goes straight through me! Literally whenever I go out to eat (most likely because I don't explain how vital it is that they treat my food with care) I can expect to be in the bathroom within the next thirty minutes to an hour, doubled over in extreme intestinal cramps and will be making multiple trips there for the next few hours. What I really don't understand is that digestion just doesn't happen that fast, and yet it's like whenever I accidentally eat gluten it does it in fast forward and with a vengeance.

Can anyone relate? Does anyone know why?

I do not know the logistics, but I have definitely heard of others who have this. It's like as soon as the gluten hits the stomach it set off the fast forward button. Sort of the emergency 'Gluten alert, dump it all! Now, now, now!' ;)

It's not my own issue, but you definitely don't seem to be alone in this.

Shauna gave you the perfect answer.

Your body is trying to purge itself of poison.

I get it too. Every time I try to eat out safely.

Unless it is BJ's pizza or Outback, I don't eat anywhere else.

It's really sad for me cause I used to love to eat out and socialize.

Now I avoid it as much as possible.

It is impossible for me to make sure they will be as careful as I need them to be.

Keep trying though!

I had this issue also prediagnosis and for a short time after I was diagnosed. After I had healed a bit the reaction then became more delayed. Are you ordering off of gluten free menus when you go out? While it might be best to skip restaurants until you are well healed if you do go to one make sure you go for the gluten free menu or go to a place where you are comfortable talking to the server or chef to insure that all that needs to be done to keep you safe is done.