Dragonflymama

A Need For Some Kind Of Answer To What Is Wrong

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have spent a lot of time over the past week reading as much about Celiac Disease as possible. A co-worker who has had it all her life suggested I talk to my doctor after having years of problems. In 2006 following the birth of my daughter I had random stomach problems and then suddenly one day had severe D and ended up in the doctors taking medication to get it under control. I was instantly put on a low residue diet which basically meant I ate nothing but chicken broth and some veggies. They tested me a few weeks after and it was negative. They had me eventualy introduce food items and dairy was one of the first and I instantly was ill. So they said that was it I was lactose Intol. The gastro problems of excess gas, bloating, D, Constipation, mucus and so forth continued and my doctor said it was IBS. After researching recently, I'm finding my canker sores, kidney stones, headaches, gas, bloating,D, stomach noise, lactose Intol, etc. and even my lack of weight gain could all be connected. I have an appointment with a gastro dr on March 14th. I'm terrified that I won't get any answers and this is controlling my life. Am I jumping to too many conclusions with connecting my symptoms to this?

I have known I'm lactose intolerant for most of my adult life. Six months or so ago I decided, instead of minimizing dairy, to cut it out of my diet completely. Some of my symptoms were gone but most, to my surprise, remained. Like you I became curious about gluten sensitivity because it explained the remaining symptoms perfectly.

A month ago I went totally gluten free. In just a few weeks the horrible bloat of my abomen is gone. I'm no longer eating antacids by the bottle. The mental fog I've been in for so long is lifting. I feel better in a few short weeks than I have in a long time.

Remember, doctors don't own this. You don't need their permission to get better. You can cut gluten from your diet and see if you feel better. That's what I did. I have no formal diagnosis from a doctor because I'm getting better now instead of worse and that's all I care about. In the end the only one who can make the change is you.

• Upvote 1

If you are planing on having any kind of testing for celiacs I would suggest having the testing BEFORE you go gluten free.

• Upvote 1

Remember, doctors don't own this. You don't need their permission to get better. You can cut gluten from your diet and see if you feel better. That's what I did. I have no formal diagnosis from a doctor because I'm getting better now instead of worse and that's all I care about. In the end the only one who can make the change is you.

I agree with this

However, I consider it very important to rule out any other possible causes before deciding the only treatment is a gluten free diet

I agree with this

However, I consider it very important to rule out any other possible causes before deciding the only treatment is a gluten free diet

A person should of course keep in mind that other issues could be present in addition to celiac. Some of those other issues could also be related directly to celiac though. After celiac testing is done no matter what the results a trial of the diet is in order. Eating gluten free will only effect the outcome of celiac testing and if problems continue then the person should seek out their cause. There is no reason not to try the diet after testing for celiac is finished though as it may clear problems that people don't realize are gluten related, like migraines, ulcers, skin issues, mood issues etc.

• Upvote 1

A person should of course keep in mind that other issues could be present in addition to celiac. Some of those other issues could also be related directly to celiac though. After celiac testing is done no matter what the results a trial of the diet is in order. Eating gluten free will only effect the outcome of celiac testing and if problems continue then the person should seek out their cause. There is no reason not to try the diet after testing for celiac is finished though as it may clear problems that people don't realize are gluten related, like migraines, ulcers, skin issues, mood issues etc.

Exactly :)