This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Standard Panel?

StephHappens

StephHappens Rookie

Now that I have been officially diagnosed, are there certain blood tests I should have done? My doctor did a routine panel - which discovered the Celiac in the first place. The only things out of the ordinary was my B12. It was 289 - which, although the results say between 200 and 1100/1200 is normal, further research showed the U.S's low end is extremely low. In other countries, under 500 is low and on my blood results there was an asterisk that said up to 10 percent of people with levels below 400 exhibit neurological symptoms. I had been complaining for months about memory loss, loss of balance, confusion, cloudy thoughts, etc. My doctor never brought up my B12 levels! I inquired about gluten ataxia and my doctor replied, "What MEDICAL journal did you read that in? I have never heard of this gluten ataxia. I don't think this thing even exists." I had to figure it out on my own! He still doesn't know! I started taking more B12 and my brain has gotten better.

Anyway, is there a standard panel I should get after being diagnosed?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Now that I have been officially diagnosed, are there certain blood tests I should have done? My doctor did a routine panel - which discovered the Celiac in the first place. The only things out of the ordinary was my B12. It was 289 - which, although the results say between 200 and 1100/1200 is normal, further research showed the U.S's low end is extremely low. In other countries, under 500 is low and on my blood results there was an asterisk that said up to 10 percent of people with levels below 400 exhibit neurological symptoms. I had been complaining for months about memory loss, loss of balance, confusion, cloudy thoughts, etc. My doctor never brought up my B12 levels! I inquired about gluten ataxia and my doctor replied, "What MEDICAL journal did you read that in? I have never heard of this gluten ataxia. I don't think this thing even exists." I had to figure it out on my own! He still doesn't know! I started taking more B12 and my brain has gotten better.

yep- you sound like another very intelligent celiac.com member :) we really have to be on top of things- cause just like your experience and ours- these docs havent even heard of some of these things.

my sis in law had her B12 in the 200s.. but she ended up in the ER with Panic Attacks and Peripheal Neuropathy.

so, good for u, for spotting the B12.

in my humble amateur opinion: i would say- first off- one with Gluten Intolerance should check their B12, D, Iron and Thyroid. after that i think it becomes more individual.

i, for example, was also concerned with my cholesterol + c-reactive protein.

yorkieluv Newbie

Hi, my B12 was in the low 200's too, I was having the same symptoms memory loss, brain fog, off balance, clumsy and my doctor has me taking B12 sublingual. Also they need to check your Vit D level, iron, ferritin and thyroid panel. My vit D, iron, and ferritin were almost non existent. I have learned so much more from this board than I did from the doctor that found out I had a problem with gluten. Some doctors may be able to diagnose celiacs but they have no idea about treatment and the in's and out's of the disease.

I know it is so frustrating all of the ambiguity you get from the doctors but be your own advocate, keep researching and asking questions.

Carolyn

Mari Explorer

At the top of the page click on Celiac info, I remember seeing a page of tests which follow how well you are recovering on a gluten-free diet. My Dr refused to do most of the tests and it wasn't until I had a more serious problem, a small transient stroke, that she ordered some of them. I could have probably avoided that problem (6 hrs in the ER 60 miles from home) if I had know some of the tests were abnormal.

Archived