K8ling

Food In Postpartum

Rate this topic

The hospital where I had my son is AMAZING about gluten-free meals BUT the snacks available were ALL loaded down with Gluten. For this baby I will be packing my own snacks...they had snackbags sent around to all the breastfeeding mothers consisting of string cheese, lorna doone cookies and a carton of milk. For this baby I am going to bring my own cookies and check the string cheese beforehand.

I never would have known this if I hadn't stopped to think about it. The cafeteria doesn't run snacks, only meals.

So, ladies, add that to your L&D bag!!!

I was at a free-standing birth center, so I was allowed to eat/drink during and after labor/delivery, but they don't have any food services. So we had a whole grocery bag full of vitamin water(*great* source of easy to stomach calories during labor), coconut water (great source of electrolytes during all that work!), and lots of food for afterwards. (I brought stuff I thought I might be able to eat during labor (bananas, other easy foods for me, but didn't want them.) I'm definitely a fan of the "pack too much and take it home if you have to" approach. :)

• Upvote 1

They provided snacks? Wow! The hospital I gave birth at certainly did not. I don't need a gluten-free diet but I was on a vegetarian diet at the time and it was next to impossible to get a vegetarian meal. I can only imagine how hard it would be to get a gluten-free one! What they did have was a little kitchette that we could use. So I brought my own food. Mainly cheese and baby carrots. I'm sure I probably brought something else but I don't remember. I did have lots of chocolate in my bag because I had gestational diabetes and wasn't allowed to have any sweets while pregnant. Luckily I didn't really get any cravings but I did look forward to eating chocolate again.