Sarahmc388

Friends Wanting To Feed Me

Rate this topic

I'm recently diagnosed and I'm having trouble because we socialize a lot. People have us over for dinner and want to know what they can cook me. Last week, I told them not to worry and I would bring a safe dish to share. When we got there, they were like "no see, it's all natural" and showed me "all" of the stuff they put in it. Well, they forgot about the green jar olives and some other things. Then my stomach started hurting. How do I explain to people politely that they could be hurting me without knowing it? What do y'all do when you go to someone's house to eat?

I thank them profusely and graciously, then ignore them and bring my own dish to share and don't touch anyone else's. "Oh, but...." whereby I tell them that my allergies are so bad it's safer this way. And that I come for the company, not the food. :P

While this isn't precise, people understand the word allergy better than auto immune flare. People mean well, for the most part, but I just can't risk getting sick every time I interact with others, and I doubt that they actually want to hear about the Great Kitchen Purge.

P.S. When you invite them, you can control the food... B)

• Upvote 1

I just tell them that I appreciate the thought but that it's really easy for me to get sick and tell one story of something small that had a big impact, usually something a restaurant has done wrong, and then say, "That's why I'm paranoid. I'm sorry, but I doubt I'd trust you. I'll just bring something to eat along with you guys."

I'm usually really blunt ... being so straightforward has benefits when people take it upon themselves to be super-nice and try to cook for you.