This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions About Alleviating Joint Pain

srall

srall Contributor

A big perk of going gluten and dairy free is that my arthritis really eased up. Especially a joint in my neck that was causing me chronic pain for years. However, it's a year later and I still have enough joint pain to interfere with my lifestyle, especially in my knees. So, I'm finally at a breaking point and I'm just now becoming very very strict about eliminating night shades, soy, coffee and alcohol. It's only been about 72 hours but I feel like the pain is worse, not better. I am pretty certain that I'm not getting cc from gluten as the house is gluten free and I haven't eaten out in weeks. Oh...I have also been taking a higher dose of vit D (5000 IU/day)

Does anybody have any advice? Am I looking at weeks or months before I feel better? What about glucosamine? I'd rather not take another supplement but I'm so tired of achy joints. Am I just arthritic and that's the way it is?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

How is your vit D level? You may need more. Last year mine was at 16.7 range is 32.0-100.0. My Dr. put me on 50,000 IU Rx a week for two months and then I started taking 5,000 IU a day for a few months, now I am taking 3,000 IU a day. It is time for me to get tested again so I can see where my levels are. I am trying to remember, I think it took about six months for my joint pain to go away. I also added in a B-Complex with C and Fish Oil, I think those helped too.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

My Dr told me to take 10,000 IU D in the morning and Bluebonnet Calcium Citrate Magnesium D3 at night(800 IU D and 1000 mg calcium).

GFinDC Veteran

... So, I'm finally at a breaking point and I'm just now becoming very very strict about eliminating night shades, soy, coffee and alcohol. It's only been about 72 hours but I feel like the pain is worse, not better.....

Give it time. It took a over a month for me to get much better after stopping soy. It is not a light switch reaction.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Give the nightshades and soy about 6 weeks. It'll take a little while for those to get out of your system. Sounds like you might be going through withdrawal effects too. I take 1000 mgs of magnesium also as well as Vit D and Vit B-12. That has helped with my pain a lot.

You do know what all the nightshades are, right? If not, they are potatoes, tomatoes, tomatilla's, all bell peppers, eggplant, paprika, and if I remember right okra. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I hope you get to feeling better.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Dagnabit, double post, sorry

srall Contributor

Everyone, thank you. I can handle a 6 week wait. I just want it to get better eventually. I know with gluten it took months for everything to start easing up so I don't know why I'm surprised. And thanks for the nightshade list. I knew every one but okra...but that's not a big risk up here in the north. Plus I don't care for it. So...I'll stay the course and get vitamin levels checked at my next appt. I appreciate the responses. Very helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived