This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing For Celiac ( Transglutaminase Iga, Igg And Antigliadin Igg)

bogzceli

bogzceli Newbie

Hello

I'm new here.

I've just done some tests for celiac disease as I always thought I had some problems with eating gluten.

Here are the results

Transglutaminase IgA 0.9 U/ml normal<10

Transglutaminase IgG 1.1 U/ml normal<10

Antigliadin IgG 2 mg/L normal<18

This brought me here to ask you if you would like to give your opninions regarding the possibility of having celiac.

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bogzceli Newbie

Are those supposed to be 0 or very close to 0 if you don't have any sensitivty ?

Anyone ?

psawyer Proficient

Are those supposed to be 0 or very close to 0 if you don't have any sensitivty ?

The answer to your question is contained in your first post, but I've highlighted it for you. Numbers smaller than the reference numbers are negative. Zero is not to be expected. Your numbers are about one tenth of what would trigger a positive finding. Assuming your immune system is functioning (I can't tell because there isn't a total serum IgA test), that is a clear negative for celiac disease. False negatives can happen, though.

Transglutaminase IgA 0.9 U/ml normal<10

Transglutaminase IgG 1.1 U/ml normal<10

Antigliadin IgG 2 mg/L normal<18

bogzceli Newbie

The answer to your question is contained in your first post, but I've highlighted it for you. Numbers smaller than the reference numbers are negative. Zero is not to be expected. Your numbers are about one tenth of what would trigger a positive finding. Assuming your immune system is functioning (I can't tell because there isn't a total serum IgA test), that is a clear negative for celiac disease. False negatives can happen, though.

Can both tests (antigliadin and iTG) be false negative ?

I thought diagnosis of celiac is accurately determined with these 2 tests....so you're saying is total IgA test necesary?

Thank you.

psawyer Proficient

I'm not a real expert on how all the tests interact. My understanding, though, is that the total serum IgA is normally included as part of the panel because if it is below normal the others can be falsely negative as a result.

mushroom Proficient

I presume they ran the tTG IGG test in case you were a low IGA producer, though as Peter says they normally run the total serum IGA as a control for that, to rule that out.

Even when one is the patient, it is hard to read a doctor's mind :huh:

bogzceli Newbie

I presume they ran the tTG IGG test in case you were a low IGA producer, though as Peter says they normally run the total serum IGA as a control for that, to rule that out.

Even when one is the patient, it is hard to read a doctor's mind :huh:

So if I did the tTG IGG(besides tTG IGA) then is not necesary to test the total IgA ?

Sorry for the possible obvious asnwers to these questions, but I'm still learning. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

So if I did the tTG IGG(besides tTG IGA) then is not necesary to test the total IgA ?

Sorry for the possible obvious asnwers to these questions, but I'm still learning. :)

technically yes- it would not be necessary.. but ive also heard of being igg deficient too.. idk.

were you eating enough gluten prior to testing??? that would affect the test... my gi only put me on a 2 week challenge- which is not really enough.

my antigliadin were solid negative. my ttg were only a weak positive. but my EMA was positive. they didnt run that on you (the EMA).

good luck.. i know it's frustrating. if you still dont get answers- but you feel better off gluten- then you should listen to your body and not eat it.

bogzceli Newbie

technically yes- it would not be necessary.. but ive also heard of being igg deficient too.. idk.

were you eating enough gluten prior to testing??? that would affect the test... my gi only put me on a 2 week challenge- which is not really enough.

my antigliadin were solid negative. my ttg were only a weak positive. but my EMA was positive. they didnt run that on you (the EMA).

good luck.. i know it's frustrating. if you still dont get answers- but you feel better off gluten- then you should listen to your body and not eat it.

I didn't do the EMA as the studies I've read on some journals were concluding that those (iTG and Anti gliadin) are very accurate as EMA requires manual manipulation, not being the case with the former 2(elisa).

Yes, I eat gluten every day even before the test I ate a ocuple of slices of bread.

I did those tests to rule out the possibility that I analyze my condition subjectively so if the tests would made me a celiac I would knew what is the culprit.

October3 Explorer

Hope you don't mind me jumping on here with a related question -

if the test says just tTG (but not specifying IgA or IgG)) which is it? Or is it both somehow?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Keep in mind that the tests can be a false negative so do try the diet for a bit strictly when you are done with testing.

cassP Contributor

I didn't do the EMA as the studies I've read on some journals were concluding that those (iTG and Anti gliadin) are very accurate as EMA requires manual manipulation, not being the case with the former 2(elisa).

Yes, I eat gluten every day even before the test I ate a ocuple of slices of bread.

I did those tests to rule out the possibility that I analyze my condition subjectively so if the tests would made me a celiac I would knew what is the culprit.

yes- the EMA is a more difficult test to do- and the person in the lab has to be very skilled- easy to mess up- but if its positive- it is 100% only specific to celiac.

and everyone says (including my gi) to eat at least 4 slices worth of bread a day during gluten challenge.

like posted just above- there can be false negatives- so if your body is reacting negatively to the gluten- you should just go with the diet for a while at least

there's always the enterolab gene test too- while it may not give u concrete answers- and your docs may not recognize it... it could guide u as it did me.

Archived