This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cramping From Milk

scottyg354

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Anyone find that the cramping from Lactose is worse then the cramping from Gluten. Again I'm not sure if I'm celiac or not but my other symptoms from what ever are really annoying. Although, last night I reacted to milk and had the worst cramps I've had in years. Was curled up in a ball for 2 hours.

It's starting to make me wonder because I've never reacted to milk like this before, and the last time I actually drank some was before I started feeling really bad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shopgirl Contributor

Yep. I developed lactose intolerance after going gluten-free too. It's pretty common. Some get the ability to digest lactose back, some don't. Drop dairy for a few months and then test it.

I cut out dairy and the pain immediately went away. I was disappointed but there are plenty of alternatives: I drink almond milk (delicious), eat coconut milk yogurt, and occasionally have Daiya vegan cheese.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Yep. I developed lactose intolerance after going gluten-free too. It's pretty common. Some get the ability to digest lactose back, some don't. Drop dairy for a few months and then test it.

I cut out dairy and the pain immediately went away. I was disappointed but there are plenty of alternatives: I drink almond milk (delicious), eat coconut milk yogurt, and occasionally have Daiya vegan cheese.

Are you cramps from milk products more painful?

shopgirl Contributor

I don't get abdominal pain or cramping from gluten.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Good then at least I'm not alone there. I never get abdominal pain from gluten. More like odd feelings and stomach noise, also makes me feel like im losing it. Dairy suprised the hell out of me though to be honest. Last time I had milk I didn't have this problem.

shopgirl Contributor

That's how it happened to me too. I was a lifelong milk drinker and dairy eater. I thought I'd dodged a bullet when I was first diagnosed because I was fine with milk. About two months gluten-free, I started getting awful cramps after just the tiniest bit of milk. As soon as I cut it out, the cramping went away. One day I was fine, the next I couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Definitely not unusual for Celiac/gluten intolerance.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

That's how it happened to me too. I was a lifelong milk drinker and dairy eater. I thought I'd dodged a bullet when I was first diagnosed because I was fine with milk. About two months gluten-free, I started getting awful cramps after just the tiniest bit of milk. As soon as I cut it out, the cramping went away. One day I was fine, the next I couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Definitely not unusual for Celiac/gluten intolerance.

I'm not even diagnosed yet. But from what I'm reading, Celiac seems to be a major cause of it if you didn't have it your whole life. Crohn's as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Me, neither, but I do occasionally get cramps from milk but never cheeses, yogurt and so on. Only milk and only when I drink a whole glass or more so I just drink it half a glass at a time. Does not affect me in cooking and baking, thankfully. I love to use coconut milk in recipes.

RiceGuy Collaborator

For many, it's more a problem with casein (the major milk protein) than lactose (milk sugar).

love2travel Mentor

For many, it's more a problem with casein (the major milk protein) than lactose (milk sugar).

That is true. I should have differentiated that in my post!

cassP Contributor

the cramping i get from too much fructose is worse than pain i got from gluten. usually. pain wise i would rather go with a piece of pizza than have a pear. big time.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

the cramping i get from too much fructose is worse than pain i got from gluten. usually. pain wise i would rather go with a piece of pizza than have a pear. big time.

LOL. Gluten makes me feel almost slightly drunk or high, but not in a good way, with pains. Milk made me cramp up like crazy and unfortunately some veggies make me bloat up in my lower abdomen, peppers are one of the culprits and unfortunately I love them.

Archived