sydneysmommy

What Happens To You When You're Contaminated?

Rate this topic

I've seen that a lot of people get very harsh reactions to being glutened (throwing up, sick for weeks etc). That's awful. Luckily, I havent had such a bad reaction as that since I was first diagnosed.

But I am wondering if it is normal, or if anyone else is like me?

Whereas, if I get contaminated or ingest gluten I feel immediate pain in my lower abdomen. I feel very bloated and an overall long lasting feeling of indigestion and pain. I get constipated for a day or two. Then followed by a couple weeks of fatigue, migraines, hormonal fluctuations that cause acne, and my menstrual cycle goes WHACK. And for some reason I always get a sinus infection or cold???

I've never heard of anyone else reacting this way. Am I freaky? Anyone know how I can deal with these reactions when I am contaminated.... bc unfortunately I've been glutened THREE TIMES in the last two months and it's put a giant wrench in my life and a lot of goals and plans I've had. SO FRUSTRATING.

Any advice?

Yes maam, there are quite a few on here including me that gets those kind of reactions and others too. Rest easy, you're not a freak. All I can say is try to relax, take deep breaths and try taking a nap during those times if you can. Pepto bismol is our friend, lol. Drink lots of water to try to flush what you can out of your system. I personly have gotten something from the health food store called L-Glutamine. It helps soothe the tummy, some have reported it dosen't work for them. Thank goodness it works for me.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck.

Yours is a very common reaction. I've read those symptoms a lot around here.

I hate to hear it lasts weeks too.

I hope things settle down for you really soon.

• Upvote 1

I have been gluten-free since December 26th. I felt better within days of giving it up. Now, if I have any gluten, I suffer from such horrific diarrhea that I end up inflamed for days. It's horrible. This past week, I've had three accidental exposures...first time in months. I am at the point that if a packaged product doesn't say gluten-free, I'm not touching it!

I have been gluten-free since December 26th. I felt better within days of giving it up. Now, if I have any gluten, I suffer from such horrific diarrhea that I end up inflamed for days. It's horrible. This past week, I've had three accidental exposures...first time in months. I am at the point that if a packaged product doesn't say gluten-free, I'm not touching it!

Jenn,

I've come to the point that I don't eat ANY prepackaged food, whether or not it says gluten free. In all honesty people may put that label on a product, but not realize about potential cross contamination (that's giving people the benefit of the doubt :) ) Seriously, it's much safer to make your own. Takes longer, but definitely safer.

Luddie