salexander421

Had My Endoscopy Today...

Rate this topic

I had my endoscopy today after undergoing a 3 month gluten challenge. My celiac panel was negative but doctor still wanted to do endoscopy to confirm negative blood work. He said that there was gastritis and apparently I have a hernia somewhere causing indigestion (I found that interesting since I don't experience indigestion when gluten free). He said that he didn't see anything that made him suspect celiac but that I would need to wait on the biopsy which should be back in 7 days. I guess my only question would be about the gastritis. Is it common to see gastritis but have a negative biopsy? Would gastritis maybe point more towards non celiac gluten intolerance? Of course he prescribed prevacid which I have no intentions of taking, I'm gluten free again starting right now :)

I had my endoscopy today after undergoing a 3 month gluten challenge. My celiac panel was negative but doctor still wanted to do endoscopy to confirm negative blood work. He said that there was gastritis and apparently I have a hernia somewhere causing indigestion (I found that interesting since I don't experience indigestion when gluten free). He said that he didn't see anything that made him suspect celiac but that I would need to wait on the biopsy which should be back in 7 days. I guess my only question would be about the gastritis. Is it common to see gastritis but have a negative biopsy? Would gastritis maybe point more towards non celiac gluten intolerance? Of course he prescribed prevacid which I have no intentions of taking, I'm gluten free again starting right now :)

Congrats on having the biopsy hurdle behind you! And good luck with the results. Happy for you that you can go gluten-free again starting now! :)

Congrats on having the biopsy hurdle behind you! And good luck with the results. Happy for you that you can go gluten-free again starting now! :)

Thank you :) I'm so glad to have this all behind me! The next week will be challenging anticipating the results but I do feel that I already have my answer as far as how it affects me so I feel good no matter what the outcome is.

There's no way for the doctor to see Celiac damage with the naked eye unless it's the really extreme complete villous atrophy.

But, either way, congratulations! You don't have to worry about eating gluten again. (Well, you do have to worry about eating but you don't have to actually eat it.)

I had both gastritis and duodenitis (inflammation) show up on my EGD so I don't think it's all that uncommon. I was surprised since my stomach didn't really hurt. Unless damage is really severe, I don't think doctors can usually visually see it with the scope. Hopefully he took at least six biopsies because if damage is patchy, it could be missed.

Wishing you healing as you go back to gluten-free!

• Upvote 1

You're so lucky that it's over! Mine's not until the 30th. Did the procedure go smoothly for you?

I'm hoping they find something or I'll have to stay on gluten since he wants to do the pill cam if the biopsies are negative.

You're so lucky that it's over! Mine's not until the 30th. Did the procedure go smoothly for you?

I'm hoping they find something or I'll have to stay on gluten since he wants to do the pill cam if the biopsies are negative.

I'm so sorry you have to wait, It'll be here before you know it! It went very smoothly for me, I don't even remember a thing and I was up and moving around within minutes after as if nothing had ever happened :P I hope you get the answers you're looking for!

Hopefully he took at least six biopsies because if damage is patchy, it could be missed.

I never really got a clear answer on that one so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he took enough. I'm not that great with dealing with doctors :P