Newtoitall

Ever Have A Hidden Source Of Contamination?

Rate this topic

I was wondering how many people live with non celiac's who eat thing's that are Poison to you, did you have cross contamination keep happening that was hard to find?

O.o I'm bloody paranoid about everything xD

Yes Maam, I have a SO who refuses to go gluten free plus a son. I refuse to cook for them if they want something with gluten in it. I have my own PB, jelly, butter, mayo, ketchup, and I keep it in a cabinet away from their gluten. I have my own skillet that I keep in it's own little spot on the other side of the kitchen away from theirs. I wash all the counters down before I even try to make something to eat because if I don't i'll get sick. It's gotten to the point that when I go into the kitchen i immediately put on surgical gloves. That's how OCD I am, but it's because I have to be. If I don't i'll get sick.

The big problems i have is my SO and I team on a truck. I cook in the truck and gluten is not allowed on the truck because I have been contaminated too many times by the steering wheel, shifter, knobs, you name it, anything he touches.

He either eats gluten free on the truck or he eats in the restaurants. He makes sure he washes his hands real good before he gets back in the truck and he brushes his teeth before he kisses me. I'm sensitive to the point I had to quit making his sandwiches. Again, If I use gloves to make his sandwiches i'm alright.

Yes and yes. You have to be paranoid. Keep a food journal. Add only one new thing a week. That really helps when it comes to figuring out what got you.

I think adding only 1 new food per week is a really great idea. I know for me, I don't react immediately.

I'm mom in a family of 5...I am careful but the only gluten-free person.

I bought an island on wheels for the kitchen that is separate from the rest of the counters & that's where the breadstuffs go, the gluten stuff. The other counters actually have "gluten free zone" signs on the wall - and that's where my toaster is (they have one on the island). I have separate cupboards for my baking sheets/pans and my stuff is silicone (theirs isn't), likewise with large spoons, spatulas, colanders, etc. The top shelf of the pantry & the freezer & the fridge are mine & my gluten-free baking & conidments are in separate containers & labelled "mom" or "gluten-free".

It works pretty well, I just have to watch company when they come over - we're not social butterflies, it's mostly when family comes to stay. I have to watch spoons switching dishes, my condiments getting knives dipped into them, etc. My DH & kids know quite a bit about gluten and helping prevent CC - they know how "happy" I get when I've been glutened !