love2travel

Made Delicious Coconut Layer Cake Today...

Rate this topic

Wanted to make myself something yummy for my birthday so went with this:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/03/gluten-free-coconut-layer-cake.html#more

Results?

- very moist

- rose nicely - not a flat hockey puck disk

- lovely "real" cake texture with a fine crumb

- looks like a "real" layer cake - finely-spaced holes (no tunnels, no gumminess)

- buttercream is delicious! I used butter.

If you make it I would definitely add coconut extract to make the coconut flavour more pronounced both in the cake and buttercream. I would also add more lime juice next time and there WILL be a next time! There are all kinds of possibilities with this one from lemon poppyseed to orange olive oil to plain with mocha buttercream, too. Loved the addition of coconut flour. I make my own bourbon vanilla and it was excellent here.

My husband said there is no way anyone could tell it is gluten-free! Well worth it. :D

:D

Well, Happy Birthday!!

It looks fantastic! :D

Thanks! It's not until next week but we'll be away.

Anyway, it looks every bit as good sitting on my kitchen counter as it does in the photo! :D

And since you are the new recipe guru here... ;)

I bought a lot of coconut flour and now I find that recipes never take more than 1/2 cup and then they take like a dozen eggs. :unsure: It's gonna take me a long, long time to use the 25 lbs. I bought! :blink: I might need to buy some chickens!

So any cool coconut flour recipes you get are appreciated!

And since you are the new recipe guru here... ;)

I bought a lot of coconut flour and now I find that recipes never take more than 1/2 cup and then they take like a dozen eggs. :unsure: It's gonna take me a long, long time to use the 25 lbs. I bought! :blink: I might need to buy some chickens!

So any cool coconut flour recipes you get are appreciated!

Coconut flour sucks up moisture like a sponge so it definitely does require more wet ingredients. It's one of my favourites so will post a few recipes you may like...

Have you tried these pancakes? Again, very little coconut flour used, and you still may have to buy your chickens, but next time you crave pancakes these are pretty good.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=1196 I don't usually get recipes from Bob's Red Mill site but what the heck... ;)

Have you thought of using it for coconut shrimp? I haven't tried it yet but with rice flour it could make a nice tempura. Or how about this idea with NO eggs:

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Gluten_Free_Coconut_Fried_Fish.htm

Or Bacon, Egg and Cheese Muffins that require 3 eggs...

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/01/06/low-carb-bacon-egg-cheese-muffins/

As it makes a good binder, throw some into your meatloaf or meatballs.

OK, I'm trying that fried fish recipe but with chicken tenders! Sounds great!

Also, I just want you to know, I bought a little Journal type notebook to keep my recipes from you in. That is, until you publish your first gluten free cookbook!

And others too, but so far you are the first to motivate me to bake.

Have you checked out Elana Amsterdam's site? She uses almond and coconut flour. I haven't done a lot with her recipes but love the chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies in her Almond Flour cookbook!

I love the tip about meatloaf. I make mediterranean kebabs, but they do need a little something for a binder and this will be easy to try! Thanks! You are a gem. ;)

OK, I'm trying that fried fish recipe but with chicken tenders! Sounds great!

Also, I just want you to know, I bought a little Journal type notebook to keep my recipes from you in. That is, until you publish your first gluten free cookbook!

And others too, but so far you are the first to motivate me to bake.

Have you checked out Elana Amsterdam's site? She uses almond and coconut flour. I haven't done a lot with her recipes but love the chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies in her Almond Flour cookbook!

I love the tip about meatloaf. I make mediterranean kebabs, but they do need a little something for a binder and this will be easy to try! Thanks! You are a gem. ;)

You cannot imagine how heartwarming your words are to me. I love to try to inspire people to get passionate about food and cooking because I am that way. I really hope I don't come across as preachy - I just want people to realize they CAN be successful bakers/cooks instead of feeling the need to rely on the poor quality/selection of purchased stuff if time/energy/inclination/whatever permits. It can be so much fun and gratifying and you get to make what you want - not just what 4 things may be available at your grocery store. :)

Yes, I just found Elana's site which I will be using, too, for my almond and coconut flour! Thanks for that!

Hmmmm...what to bake today... :D Oh, some breadsticks! Yeah, that is what I will do.

I am printing off recipes as fast as I can!

So far I have simply used ground rice cheks in my meatloaf for crumbs.

I can't really tell a big difference, but then some of you might not like my meatloaf anyway,.......I use ground bison! :P

I am printing off recipes as fast as I can!

So far I have simply used ground rice cheks in my meatloaf for crumbs.

I can't really tell a big difference, but then some of you might not like my meatloaf anyway,.......I use ground bison! :P

Ooooh...I LOVE bison! My dad was a hunter and provided us with moose, elk, venison and so on so I grew up surrounded by all sorts of things (on a farm with lots of animals and birds). My husband and I also lived WAYYYY up north (where you have to fly - can't drive) where we had beaver, caribou... Bison (and other game in my opinion) are underrated and underused.

Ooooh...I LOVE bison! My dad was a hunter and provided us with moose, elk, venison and so on so I grew up surrounded by all sorts of things (on a farm with lots of animals and birds). My husband and I also lived WAYYYY up north (where you have to fly - can't drive) where we had beaver, caribou... Bison (and other game in my opinion) are underrated and underused.

If you are interested I will give you the link to where I buy it from. All grass fed and finished from a family farm in Minnesota. No hormones or anti-biotics either, and no I am not connected to the business,.....just a lng time customer. :)

I am having another 20 pounds shipped right now. I haven't really eaten beef from the store for about 2 years.

BTW,.....where do you get gluten free onion powder?

:)

If you are interested I will give you the link to where I buy it from. All grass fed and finished from a family farm in Minnesota. No hormones or anti-biotics either, and no I am not connected to the business,.....just a lng time customer. :)

I am having another 20 pounds shipped right now. I haven't really eaten beef from the store for about 2 years.

BTW,.....where do you get gluten free onion powder?

I live in Alberta so am doubtful about the Minnesota farm. However, there is a huge bison farm close to us, too. :)

The onion powder is McCormick's which I have been reassured by email is truly gluten-free - it had better be!! They also have roasted garlic powder which can be nice in BBQ rubs and such. I prefer the real thing to powder usually but the odd time it belongs.

Hey Marc49!

I am interested in your bison source. I wanna switch to grass fed and between you hooking me up with meat and Loves2travel hooking me up with recipes...I might get healthy!!?!!

Thanks for the link and thanks for starting the Another Bread Question thread. It got me motivated to try things. :)

:blink: I might need to buy some chickens!

get the chickens. the eggs are so much better

Hey Marc49!

I am interested in your bison source. I wanna switch to grass fed and between you hooking me up with meat and Loves2travel hooking me up with recipes...I might get healthy!!?!!

Thanks for the link and thanks for starting the Another Bread Question thread. It got me motivated to try things. :)

I just sent you a PM with the info. If you have any questions let me know.

Didn't post it here, as I don't know how they feel about links to things for sale.

Didn't post it here, as I don't know how they feel about links to things for sale.

It's fine, as long as you aren't the one selling it.

It's fine, as long as you aren't the one selling it.

Thanks for that info,....some forums don't allow virtually any outside links.

I don't think I could pull off a bison operation in Central Florida on 1.25 acres so I am certainly not the seller. :D

Just a company that I have done about 10 transactions with over the course of a couple of years.

I think it is OK to post about food resources. I brag about Nutsonline all the time and no one has censored me yet. Thank you for the information!

I think it is OK to post about food resources. I brag about Nutsonline all the time and no one has censored me yet. Thank you for the information!

aaahhh, we though it was just a comment about yourself. :P

• Upvote 1

aaahhh, we though it was just a comment about yourself. :P

Ha! Jestgar! Touche'! :lol::lol::lol: That I am! :rolleyes: