WinterSong

Laundry Detergent And Household Cleaners?

Rate this topic

Ok, I have no idea if laundry detergent or household cleaners contain gluten. Anyone else know? And if so, which brands are gluten-free?

Thanks!

I used to use All Free and Clear laundry detergent since I have sensitive skin to perfumes and scents. I now make my own laundry power out of Fels Naptha laundry bar soap, washing soda and borax. I also put about a 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar in a Downy ball into the wash. It helps get any left over residue from the laundry power out of the washer and it acts as a fabric softener for the clothes. I haven't had any problem with either and I find that making it is very cost effective.

I used to use All Free and Clear laundry detergent since I have sensitive skin to perfumes and scents. I now make my own laundry power out of Fels Naptha laundry bar soap, washing soda and borax. I also put about a 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar in a Downy ball into the wash. It helps get any left over residue from the laundry power out of the washer and it acts as a fabric softener for the clothes. I haven't had any problem with either and I find that making it is very cost effective.

I made this for years and loved it! But, my husband didn't. He thought it made the clothes smell weird. I didn't think the clothes smelled like anything! Anyway, I use All free and clear now and have no problems with my husband, and this detergent is safe for me. I would like to make my own again though. Since moving to Texas, I'v kept my eyes open for the ingredients and have not seen them yet.

I like the idea of using the vinegar. We have such hard water here. I'm going to try that!

I made this for years and loved it! But, my husband didn't. He thought it made the clothes smell weird. I didn't think the clothes smelled like anything! Anyway, I use All free and clear now and have no problems with my husband, and this detergent is safe for me. I would like to make my own again though. Since moving to Texas, I'v kept my eyes open for the ingredients and have not seen them yet.

I like the idea of using the vinegar. We have such hard water here. I'm going to try that!

I don't think it smells like anything either. My husband likes scented laundry detergent, so a few years back I tried some. He loved the smell, but I began to itch insanely. So now it's back to what I can tolerate. I have found the borax and washing soda at Walmart, Ace Hardware and grocery stores Food City and Ingals. The only place I can find the Fels Naptha is Food City. Zote is another good soap to use but I don't know about how it smells.

I don't think it smells like anything either. My husband likes scented laundry detergent, so a few years back I tried some. He loved the smell, but I began to itch insanely. So now it's back to what I can tolerate. I have found the borax and washing soda at Walmart, Ace Hardware and grocery stores Food City and Ingals. The only place I can find the Fels Naptha is Food City. Zote is another good soap to use but I don't know about how it smells.

HHHMMM.....I was thinking, maybe the smell he doesn't like comes from the ivory soap. I've used pure Ivory everytime I made it instead of Zote or Fels Napa. Maybe I can try harder to find the stuff....I mean, for crying out loud, I live on the outskirts of San Antonio! Someone has to carry it at a good price!

Yes, I am going to do it again, with a different soap, and not tell my husband. Let's see if he notices.