jldskier1234

Gluten-Free Products

Rate this topic

There was a recent news program that stated that some of the gluten-free are now not good for you. Is there any true to this?? I sure hope not because I never got the name of the co./cos. or why etc.

There are a number of prepackaged gluten-free breads and other baked goods which are mostly starch, so that's what I suspect it was about. Homemade breads are better anyway.

I think it has to do with all the products that are jumping on the bandwagon and putting gluten-free on their packages to entice people into thinking they are somehow healthier when they are not. (Fruity Pebbles?) Many people are just ignorant and think that "gluten FREE" somehow means better for you or less calories, etc. People who do not need to eat gluten free are being led to believe that there is some health benefit to buying these products.

Gluten free or not, a cookie is still a cookie.

Also, I have a problem with guilt. I know when I was contemplating my young child's diet (soon to be gluten free) I was drawn to all the cookies and treats he will still be able to have (snickers! Yay!) but in reality, he doesn't eat much of that kind of stuff now, why would I suddenly feel the need to get it for him just because he now has to eat gluten free? I think I was feeling kind of guilty about all the stuff he will have to give up that I was going to somehow make up for it by letting him eat more junk food. I have since gotten over this way of thinking.

One thing I have noticed is that the bread we are switching to (Udi's Whole Grain) does not have nearly the fiber that our current bread has. We will just have to get more fiber from other (healthy) sources like fruits, vegetables, and nuts. No problem, just an adjustment.

Cara

Plus, I think as more and more companies jump on the gluten-free bandwagon, because they see big $$ in it... there's going to be lots of convenience foods out there for us that end up being as bad for you as gluten-filled convenience foods... full of chemicals and additives, etc. A good gluten-free diet involves REAL food... meats, fruits, veggies, and carbs like rice... REAL foods. A newbie on a gluten-free diet is going to look at those convenience foods as manna from heaven after having to give up so much ... and will be flummoxed when their symptoms don't go away cause of all the crap they're eating!

Yes, a lot of gluten free sub tend to be mostly refined starches and sugar (Udi's muffins, for example, are really candy). Baking at home or being a careful label reader is necessary to replace items like whole wheat bread with brown rice and buckwheat or quinoa or millet or sweet potatoes instead of potato starch and white rice flour. Don't forget you can use beans and lentils as a grain substitute too.

I'll admit, I fell a little into the trap of feeling sorry for myself and eating a bit more junkfood that I should have! Peanut M n M (on the other hand, I was staving off the desire for gluten-containing foods that I would have permitted myself, so perhaps it balanced out), and trying out all the fake oreos.