This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starting To Eat Gluten Free Today

goodnews

goodnews Apprentice

So I just had my endoscopy yesterday and am waiting for the results from the biopsy. In the meantime I am starting to eat gluten free to see if I have some relief. I have been researching and excited about starting on this only because I want to feel better! Although I am anxious that I won't feel better for a while because I still have gallbladder problems and lately have been having acid reflux and my esophagus is hurting today (probably from the endoscopy yesterday). So today is my first day gluten free....but I totally forgot to buy gluten free things yet...that was a big mistake. so I have a whole lot of fruit/vegetable/nut snack like items today for lunch (cashews and cranberries with corn chex, cheese stick, banana with peanutbutter, popcorn, and fruit snacks). Will have to grab something at the store for dinner I guess. Hoping to feel better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

goodnews Apprentice

Well so far (only day 3) I am definitely irritable, with a little more energy but stomach has been the same and a little worse last night and this morning. Dull headache (nothing major) and I have been going to the bathroom more regularly (was constipated before so this is kind of a good thing).

Had some brown rice pasta last night and it was actually quite good! I was pleasantly surprised. Should hear back from the dr. about possible Celiac on Monday but in the meantime hoping to feel better soon.

cahill Collaborator

Well so far (only day 3) I am definitely irritable, with a little more energy but stomach has been the same and a little worse last night and this morning. Dull headache (nothing major) and I have been going to the bathroom more regularly (was constipated before so this is kind of a good thing).

Had some brown rice pasta last night and it was actually quite good! I was pleasantly surprised. Should hear back from the dr. about possible Celiac on Monday but in the meantime hoping to feel better soon.

are you planing on staying gluten free even if your biopsy is negative??

MsCurious Enthusiast

Well so far (only day 3)

Glad to hear the rice pasta was good. I'm a little worried about the new taste of things to come! :o Monday is a big day for both of us...hope you have good news, goodnews! ;) I'm going out of state for 3 weeks, about a week after my biopsy... sure hope I don't go through the irritability thing... that would not be fun, when I'm FINALLY visiting family 2000 miles away! Yikes! :blink:

Let us know how you do on Monday... I'm eager to hear how your test went.

goodnews Apprentice

are you planing on staying gluten free even if your biopsy is negative??

Yes, for a while at least. I am still feeling sick and want to know if it will help. Plus according to my genes I am at high risk of developing it and am going to have a gallbladder surgery coming up.....so with my luck even if I don't have it now it will kick in then :huh: I am thinking that other things are bothering me too because I had some icecream today and that made me feel more sick. If the biopsy is negative I will probably reintroduce gluten later in a few months. But if I start feeling great and eating gluten makes me feel sick again...well then it's a no brainer and I will stay off it.

goodnews Apprentice

Glad to hear the rice pasta was good. I'm a little worried about the new taste of things to come! :o Monday is a big day for both of us...hope you have good news, goodnews! ;) I'm going out of state for 3 weeks, about a week after my biopsy... sure hope I don't go through the irritability thing... that would not be fun, when I'm FINALLY visiting family 2000 miles away! Yikes! :blink:

Let us know how you do on Monday... I'm eager to hear how your test went.

Yes, it was Tinkyada brown rice pasta. Quite good actually. I am baking some bread now from a mix so I can use it for sandwiches this next week. I haven't been eating a lot of the other flours and stuff and trying to eat more basic things....but I would just love a piece of toast in the morning. I tried Grits and I liked those. Of course I am a cereal or toast girl in the morning and I can't find a great cereal yet.

Hope Monday goes well for you! I am less irritable this afternoon. It is a beautiful day and I got out in the sun and made me feel better. I live in the northeast and we have been cooped up for like 6 months. Today is high 50's and it's T-shirt weather!!

Have fun visiting your family! Will let you know what my results are. I am kind of hoping it is negative for Celiac in all honesty. I would rather have some gluten sensitivity and maybe be able to reintroduce it...but whatever happens happens. It will work out. :)

cahill Collaborator

It is a beautiful day and I got out in the sun and made me feel better. I live in the northeast and we have been cooped up for like 6 months. Today is high 50's and it's T-shirt weather!!

sounds like you live in my neighborhood :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

If dairy is bothering you or you think it may be bothering you, there is no reason not to try stopping it for a while. It shouldn't affect the celiac testing if you are planning an endoscopy and biopsy.

goodnews Apprentice

If dairy is bothering you or you think it may be bothering you, there is no reason not to try stopping it for a while. It shouldn't affect the celiac testing if you are planning an endoscopy and biopsy.

I may consider it. I shouldn't be getting any more endoscopies...have had 2 within a 30 day period since they didn't do enough biopsies the first time. Hopefully I am done with that for a while. I am not at all feeling any better yet...but today is only day 4. Of course I am confused though because maybe I shouldn't have started it yet since my gallbladder is all screwed up. I am not sure if it is possible for my stomach to feel better because maybe it is the gallbladder causing those problems. It's hard to tell.

mushroom Proficient

Now that you are done with testing there is no reason to keep eating anything that is bothering you. Anything further that they do will not require the consumption of gluten (or dairy). By getting rid of those you may actually help your gallbladder pain (if that's what it is). The first way to start defining your pain is to get rid of the foods that are bothering you. You may not notice any difference at all for a couple of weeks, or you may experience some withdrawal from gluten that could make you feel even worse (if that is possible) for a week or two (being a little joy germ here :D ) before you actually start feeling the benefits of your dietary change.

goodnews Apprentice

Now that you are done with testing there is no reason to keep eating anything that is bothering you. Anything further that they do will not require the consumption of gluten (or dairy). By getting rid of those you may actually help your gallbladder pain (if that's what it is). The first way to start defining your pain is to get rid of the foods that are bothering you. You may not notice any difference at all for a couple of weeks, or you may experience some withdrawal from gluten that could make you feel even worse (if that is possible) for a week or two (being a little joy germ here :D ) before you actually start feeling the benefits of your dietary change.

The problem at this point is that I am not aware of which foods bother me. I have constant stomach pain and constant pain/pressure under my right rib (that part is definitely my gallbladder because it hurt in the same spot and way when they did the scan). But also when they did the scan my whole stomach hurts like it does now too. So I am just not sure if it is gallbladder and gluten...or just gallbladder. I am still determined to try gluten free for a month or 2 though. Just not sure if I can try all the other stuff now too. I work full time, married, have 2 younger kids that I cook for. I have been cooking mainly gluten free dinners the last couple days....but don't know if I can handle making them dairy free and everything else free too. It is just SOOOOO time consuming, energy draining, and expensive. Like I said, I can do the one for a while...but when I am grasping at straws I am just not sure. Of course, who knows. I will get my results tomorrow and maybe they will tell me that I have to go on that diet forever. Only time will tell I guess. I do want to feel better but there only so many hours in the day!

Archived