This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

artboys

artboys Rookie

I suspect that my husband has Celiac Disease. He has not been able to eat anything with gluten in it. I've been getting gluten free food and he has gotten a lot better. He usually won't eat all because it hurts so bad afterwards.

Tonite I made spaghetti with gluten free pasta; I did a homemade version; spaghetti sauce. BUT he is now hurting afterwards. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong? What was in it was a can of tomato soup, ketchup, brown sugar, spices, and can of water along with ground beef.

Any clues? I was careful to keep the food separate although I suspect maybe it was because I actually let a regular pasta noodle drop in the boiling pot with the gluten free pasta and it "stuck" to the gluten free pasta? Many thanks for your feedback.

I'm new here BTW and hope to learn a lot from this forum. We suspect our oldest boy has it too but he hasn't been tested yet. We plan to get him tested this week and having him eat gluten food since I was told that I can't change his diet until after his blood workup is done. He's going to be hurting for sure!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hi, and welcome to the board.

Yes, that one itty bitty regular pasta noodle could certainly be enough cross- contamination to make him sick. Gluten is such sticky stuff!! :rolleyes: You were doing just fine until you mixed the two together, as long as you checked the labels on the tomato soup and ketchup and as long as you used single ingredient spices, because some of the blends have gluten in them...

Good luck with the testing on your son. :)

kareng Grand Master

Did you check the tomato soup? A lot of them have wheat for thickener. It will be listed in the ingredients. Using a spoon from one pot to the other or the noodles mixing might do it, too. Also, tomato can be hard to digest. Lots of regular pasta sauces are gluten-free.

I have never made pasta sauce with ketchup & brown sugar. It sounds more like BBQ sauce.

tea-and-crumpets Explorer

Did you use the brown sugar before the celiac diagnosis? If you were baking with it, and stuck the same measuring cup from flour to sugar, that could have contaminated it. Also, do you have a new colander? Wooden spoon?

I suspect it was the gluteny noodle, to be honest. Still, there are many other vectors of contamination.

Good luck!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I suspect that my husband has Celiac Disease. He has not been able to eat anything with gluten in it. I've been getting gluten free food and he has gotten a lot better. He usually won't eat all because it hurts so bad afterwards.

Tonite I made spaghetti with gluten free pasta; I did a homemade version; spaghetti sauce. BUT he is now hurting afterwards. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong? What was in it was a can of tomato soup, ketchup, brown sugar, spices, and can of water along with ground beef.

Any clues? I was careful to keep the food separate although I suspect maybe it was because I actually let a regular pasta noodle drop in the boiling pot with the gluten free pasta and it "stuck" to the gluten free pasta? Many thanks for your feedback.

I'm new here BTW and hope to learn a lot from this forum. We suspect our oldest boy has it too but he hasn't been tested yet. We plan to get him tested this week and having him eat gluten food since I was told that I can't change his diet until after his blood workup is done. He's going to be hurting for sure!

Oh, boy..so many factors here that could have glutened him:

1. Tomato soup--Most brands have wheat in them. I know Campbell's does.

2. Dropping the noodle in, yeah that did it for sure if the soup was safe...

3. Were all your spices gluten free?

4. Did you use the same strainer that you used for the regular pasta? Even if the strainer was clean, if you have used it int he past for regualr pasta there is likely gluten in all the little holes. They are very difficult to get clean. It's reccomended you get a new one to use for gluten-free pasta only.

5. did you use any wooden spoons or plastic utentils with scratches in them? If those utensils have been used in the past for gluten items they will cc the gluten-free food.

6. Did you chop any veggies to add to the sauce on a plastic or wooden cutting board used for gluten items in the past? Again, even if it is clean it has been contaminated with glutena nd is not safe for use for cutting gluten-free food.

hnybny91 Rookie

Why not eat the gluten free pasta with him. Nobody needs wheat in their diet.

artboys Rookie

You were right! I looked at the can of tomato soup and it had wheat flour in it! I should have read the back of it. I thought it didn't have flour in soups! Still learning.

I would go on the gluten free diet too with him but...at this time I'm still learning plus we have 5 kids and only one son may have celiac disease. The gluten free stuff is rather pricey but as long I buy it for my husband and son. It's fine. But I have to keep my son on regular wheat based food until he gets tested for it then I can take the gluten out of his diet due to it being negative on blood tests if I take him off now.

I'm thinking about 2 years down the road...we will be gluten free household once I learn more about how to make gluten free meals, etc. I hope to learn a lot from this forum and this is a lifesaver....you all have so much to teach me.

I have a rice pizza crust in the oven with taco meat and goat mozzarella cheese. Hope it's something husband can eat.

Husband has thyroid disease as well and allergic to dairy.

Son has stunted growth and has stomach cramps plus bad headaches. His bm is foul smelling as well. He can't tolerate dairy either and has goat milk/cheese.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived