This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Help Gaining Weight!

snifter

snifter Apprentice

Hi! Thank you so much in advance! Here's part of my story!

Always been very thin and tall, 5 11 124lbs

I could always eat whatever I wanted and never gained weight. Junk food and restaurants were my favorite! I didn't know how to cook.

Got pregnant and gain 60lbs!! I was so proud!!! Ate a TON of food to accomplish this!!

Then I had my beautiful baby! Life was grand!!

Then I started having some problems. Was losing all my baby weight fast!! But I wasn't exercising, was eating crap food.

Then I went in complaining about a a pain in my side, my doctor suspected my gall bladder. Did some tests and it's only functioning at 8% but doesn't need to be removed. I guess?

He wanted to check for ulcers in my stomach, put a camera down there and didn't find ulcers but found a "mass" , took a biopsy, said it wasn't cancer but is 80% sure I have celiac. It didn't show up in my blood.

So I've been gluten free since Oct 2010 but I'm still losing a bit, I'm down to 118! Now granted I have been walking now with my baby and I am way more busy than I used to be.

Could I just be burning off the calories I intake? Because I need to gain not lose! I feel like I'm wasting away!

I started eating omelets with vegetables and cheese every morning. I love cheese!! I thought the protein was making me feel better.

well then it came back that I had high cholesterol and high triglycerides! I'm 33!!! Ugh!!

OK so I switched to egg whites and less cheese and cut my omelets down to 3 a week! Walking more! I switched from margarine to real butter, but use very little.

So what can I add that is a healthy fat?

I added black beans and and avocado!

I try to avoid corn but still have some

Please help!! What's your advice

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JSegura226 Apprentice

How much protein are you consuming a day? Since going gluten free I try to eat lean protein as the main course for for every meal. I have been successful at steadily gaining weight. I am 5 ft 7 inches, and all my life have floated around 120 lbs. No matter what I ate I would either lose weight or stay at 120. When I finally got really sick from celiac I dropped down to a scary 93 lbs in a matter of weeks. I thought I was going to die = /.... In 3 weeks on the gluten-free diet, eating mass amounts of lean animal protein (chicken breast,beef,fish), steamed veggies and snack on nut butters with rice crackers, Tuna fish salad, larabars in between meals, along with a good probiotic, I have put on 17 lbs and am up to 110. Mind you I am still healing but day by day my weight keeps creeping up. I also have more energy now then I ever had in my life! Other than the occasional gas (which i blame on the probiotic), all my digestive system issues have cleared... I am trying to just put on lean mass but if you want to throw some rice in your diet for carbs, I am sure that will help put on some lbs as well =) hope this helps.

NateJ Contributor

Same problem here. Used to weigh close to 150 back in 1994. But over the last 10 years I'm down to 115.

I'm 5'9". Just started gluten-free diet and haven't really found the right combo to put the weight back on.

I've tried Ensure shakes to supplement but they seem to tear my gut up.

Lara bars do the same and I'm not a fan of the taste but i choke them down.

I talked to a nutritionist and they told me to watch out for protien because to much can give you a tummy ache too.

I noticed some of the Protein bars even have warning about GI distress! (don't need that) and i'm trying to avoid

to much dairy right now too. Eggs are probably good.

I'm still looking for a good supplement though... any one else have a thought?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

It sounds like you need more carbs not more fat. Potatoes and rice are the cheap celiac staples--brown rice and sweet potatoes are healthy but also carb-loaded to help you gain. If you can eat gluten-free bread and gluten-free pasta several tiems a week you will gain in no time. I lost weight when I initally went gluten-free but the weight loss stopped as soon as I discovered gluten-free bread, pasta and donuts!

NateJ Contributor

It sounds like you need more carbs not more fat. Potatoes and rice are the cheap celiac staples--brown rice and sweet potatoes are healthy but also carb-loaded to help you gain. If you can eat gluten-free bread and gluten-free pasta several tiems a week you will gain in no time. I lost weight when I initally went gluten-free but the weight loss stopped as soon as I discovered gluten-free bread, pasta and donuts!

donuts? WHAT? WHERE

donuts? WHAT? WHERE

Made by this company: Open Original Shared Link

I have only found them in one store locally (Bloom) in the freezer section where all the organic and gluten-free items are. The chocolate glazed is to die for and it's dairy free and soy free as well as gluten-free! I have also tried the maple glazed--it was still good but a little TOO sweet for me. Still killed the craving though (and probably made me gain 5 pounds the week I ate most of the box, LOL!)

I fyour stores don't have these ask them if they can get them. You might be surprised and they might start carrying them for you!

NateJ Contributor

Made by this company: Open Original Shared Link

I have only found them in one store locally (Bloom) in the freezer section where all the organic and gluten-free items are. The chocolate glazed is to die for and it's dairy free and soy free as well as gluten-free! I have also tried the maple glazed--it was still good but a little TOO sweet for me. Still killed the craving though (and probably made me gain 5 pounds the week I ate most of the box, LOL!)

I fyour stores don't have these ask them if they can get them. You might be surprised and they might start carrying them for you!

i could stand to gain 5 or 50 lbs so I am going to eat these every day! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

i could stand to gain 5 or 50 lbs so I am going to eat these every day! Thanks!

You're welcome! I hope you can get them in your stores. I don't know the cholesterol content (for the OP that was concerned about cholesterol) but I do know they are around 220 calories each and a whole lot of sugar! Don't indulge too often if you have a blood-sugar issues. My sugar spikes big time and then crashes when I have one of these but I just take that into account and don't eat them before I need to go do something important (because I will be dang near comatose once my blood sugar crashes).

NateJ Contributor

You're welcome! I hope you can get them in your stores. I don't know the cholesterol content (for the OP that was concerned about cholesterol) but I do know they are around 220 calories each and a whole lot of sugar! Don't indulge too often if you have a blood-sugar issues. My sugar spikes big time and then crashes when I have one of these but I just take that into account and don't eat them before I need to go do something important (because I will be dang near comatose once my blood sugar crashes).

no, no blood sugar issues, really just when i haven't eaten i get migranes and tummy aches. But as long as I eat every 3-4 hours I'm ok.

snifter Apprentice

OK Great advice! Thank you so much!! We can do this!!!

Archived