Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeanne-

Where Are These Food Sensitivities Coming From?

UPDATE:

I stopped eating ALL TRACES of rice and corn and grains 20 days ago.

I can now eat:

Avocados (without getting diarrhea)

Hemp seeds

Spinach

The reaction to these foods is 80% better. These are the only 3 foods I have tested (I'm too afraid to try others, LOL, because my reaction used to be so severe). Each day I notice a little more improvement. Also, I have always lost about 100 hairs when showering. Now I'm losing 6.

So there has been a HUGE improvement. I have read it can take up to 2 months to be able eat the harmless foods again once eliminating grains.

Amazing!!!

UPDATE:

I stopped eating ALL TRACES of rice and corn and grains 20 days ago.

I can now eat:

Avocados (without getting diarrhea)

Hemp seeds

Spinach

The reaction to these foods is 80% better. These are the only 3 foods I have tested (I'm too afraid to try others, LOL, because my reaction used to be so severe). Each day I notice a little more improvement. Also, I have always lost about 100 hairs when showering. Now I'm losing 6.

So there has been a HUGE improvement. I have read it can take up to 2 months to be able eat the harmless foods again once eliminating grains.

very interesting- and i believe it.

but question- how in the world do u avoid all traces of corn?????? i also do bad with corn- but i cant avoid it all- it's in my breath strips, in my gluten-free creamer, in my advil, in my prescription meds... it's INSANEEEEEEE

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Corn is super hard to avoid. Since it is not a top 8 allergen it doesn't have to be labeled, and CC doesn't have to be labeled.

Our strategy for avoiding it is to:

1. Use almost nothing that comes from a factory.

2. Call manufacturers and ask questions about produced things that we do need to use.

We probably do touch things with corn - so much stuff you'd never think of (plastic-like materials, for example) is made of it. Fortunately none of us are that sensitive.

Even getting traces orally from cross-contaminated lines means my son gets a terribly congested head, though.

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.

Gluten-Free since November 2010

GAPS Diet since January/February 2011

me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011

partner - not tested for celiac

ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome

both kids have now-resolved attention issues.