soupmonger

Not Sure If It's Celiac, But...

Rate this topic

So I have had allergies, asthma and eczema my whole life, but up until the last couple of years they had not been bothering me. Early 2008 I started feeling dizzy a lot, had some unexplained weight loss, and started to develop joint pain and became tired all the time. Then in 2009 my asthma came back full force like it has not been since I was 5 or so. I did not think it could have anything to do with food allergies because i did not get sick immediately after eating, but then about a week ago I read that with gluten allergy the reaction could be hours after consumption or even later.

Since I realized most of my symptoms COULD be explained by gluten allergy (I even took b-12 supplements in the past for brittle nails and hair, dizziness, cognitive problems and tingling in my extremities) I decided to try a gluten free diet. Already my asthma has been much less severe and I feel a lot more energetic and have even been more regular with my bowel movements. In any case I will continue with the gluten-free thing as it seems to be giving me really good results. I am not going to get any kind of testing as I do not have medical insurance and have low confidence in doctors anyway. I just want to see what others who HAVE been diagnosed might think, whether my situation rings true for celiac disease or just gluten allergy in general. Thanks!

Sounds exactly like my son. His asthma cleared up in a few weeks after going gluten free. He has had that all his life. His ecxema is going away but slowly after 6 months gluten free. That takes a while to heal. And the fatigue and depression are gone too. I never had him tested. I bribed him to go gluten free and the first time he cheated and ate pizza..he got really sick with asthma attack and belly ache and fever like he really had the flu...had to take him to the ER to get a breathing tx, but that is the last one he had....He is firmly gluten free now, with no encouragement from me. His belly and lungs tell him right away if he is glutened and he sleeps for like 20 hours straight. I think you are onto something. Hang onto it too! If testing isn't important to you then it isn't important. The only thing important is to get yourself healthy and well. I just wanted to share since your symptoms are so exactly like my son's. It is amazing all the destruction gluten does to a body.

Hi Soupmonger, My asthma went away after completely eliminating gluten and dairy. It took about 6 months for it to go away and I havn't had an asthma attack since.

Good luck

Really, the most accurate testing you can have (although most doctors don't see it this way - placebo effect :P ) is response to the diet. If not eating gluten makes you feel better, don't eat it. Congratulations on being proactive and figuring things out for yourself. Good luck on asthma remission. :)