gfreecarboholic

Cookbook Suggestion

Rate this topic

Hi Ya'll!

I'm still pretty new to the gluten-free world. I've been clean for about a month and a half now and I feel great but I need some cooking help. I've been trying to stick with whole foods like I'm supposed to and I think it's going pretty well but I'm not a cook so I don't know what to do with veggies and beans. I'm pretty much living vegetarian right now. I'm mainly sauteing or roasting veggies and beans in olive oil and a little salt and pepper and eating them with quinua or rice. I've truly never felt better but I need more variety.

Can anyone suggest a good whole food cookbook or website for recipes? I'm not ready for all the "gluten-free cooking" with the breads and replacing wheat-based foods with clean foods yet. I need to heal before I go there. I just want some good, healthy whole food recipes to vary my current rotation. I'm not opposed to eating meat or seafood, I just don't know what to do with it. I am truly not a cook. My husband usually does the cooking but now that I am gluten-free we cook separately. I need help!

Mark Bittman's cookbooks are pretty easy to find and most of his recipes are basic and very friendly to celiac. You do, however, have to pay attention and convert where necessary. For example, use safe soy sauce, gluten-free pasta, rice flour instead of wheat, rice instead of bulgur.

101cookbooks.com is good, but you'll have to use the tags/categories to view gluten-free.

A few others I enjoy are:

wheat-free-meat-free.blogspot.com (She's chatty and sociable, so not the best if you just need straight cooking 101, but she does have a long, long gluten-free blog list)

thenourishinggourmet.com

The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook is great!