LilDebMom

Vanilla & Alcohol

Rate this topic

I'm just starting to change my house over to gluten free... I have pure vanilla in my house that has alcohol in it? Is that gluten free? It doesn't say wheat, etc but obviously alcohol is made from grain. Do we need to avoid all things with alcohol in them?

Help?

LilDebMom

I drink plenty of alcohol made from grain and have never had a problem. :)

Alcohol is fine as long as it's distilled and doesn't have any additional flavorings (if it does you need to check the added flavorings). Basically that means that all liquors are good since they are distilled, it's the brewed ones that are usually off limits unless specifically gluten free.

McCormick vanilla is gluten free. It says so on the box. Just to be sure, i'd toss it and start over. If you think back to the last time you used it, you may have been making something gluteney with it.

I don't use any vanilla that is not gluten free.....I just don't take a chance....I make my own vanilla....I use Potato vodka and vanilla beans.....just slit the beans down the side and cut into about 3 to 4 inch pieces and add to the bottle....(after I have removed a cup or so)...then just let it sit a few weeks, but shake the bottle every few days..I keep it sitting on my cabinet shelf and when I see it just shake it a bit.....don't remember the # of beans I used probably a dozen...but then I just keep putting more vodka in the bottle after using out of it....let it sit a few weeks and use it again.....it makes really good vanilla....