kat nap

I'm Hungry!

Rate this topic

I have UC and celiac and have been having a really hard time knowing what to eat. From the research I have done, and from visits to a naturopath in the past,I am to avoid gluten, diary, sugar, and starches like potato. This is okay when I am eating at home and have groceries and am not in a hurry...but I have a hard time finding quick foods to take in my lunch or keep in my purse. Does anyone have any tips? What I usually end up doing is eating something containing one of the things I shouldn't. If I am extremely strict, will I really see my symptoms go away? No medications have helped.

What kinds of sugars are you supposed to avoid? Refined sugar? Fructose? Can you have honey?

nuts? I've even seen single serving packs around.

I have UC and celiac and have been having a really hard time knowing what to eat. From the research I have done, and from visits to a naturopath in the past,I am to avoid gluten, diary, sugar, and starches like potato. This is okay when I am eating at home and have groceries and am not in a hurry...but I have a hard time finding quick foods to take in my lunch or keep in my purse. Does anyone have any tips? What I usually end up doing is eating something containing one of the things I shouldn't. If I am extremely strict, will I really see my symptoms go away? No medications have helped.

It's tough to get into a routine of packing your lunch and snacks, but it gets easier, and you'll ultimately feel so much better!

Your best investment in improved health is to cook extras of foods that work for you, and freeze them. If you have a microwave at work, that's great. If not, a good thermos is a worthy investment. I bought and/or recyled some half pint and pint jars to freeze the extras from dinners or weekend cooking to refrigerate and freeze safe stuff (usually high on protein, because that's what I crave) and it has helped quite a bit.

I don't know about you, but I'm not a "morning person". The more I do the night before, the better. If I've washed and chopped romaine lettuce, it's easy to toss a can of tuna (or other protein) and a little jar of salad dressing into my lunch box.

There are some good older posts about lunches that may give you some other ideas. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon! I think you will feel better if you stick with what's working for you!

Hard boiled eggs are easy to prepare and carry. Yogurt. Nuts and dried fruit are a great idea. gluten-free Muesli bars. Reheated leftovers. Pre-made rice with veggies.

I am working away from home this week so I have all these problems doubly so. It's harder but not impossible providing you plan ahead.

I am okay with natural sugars. Honey should be okay - I have used Agave syrup in recipes.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I was feeling at a loss because I think I can eat one thing - nuts - and then am told that that may aggravate my UC. It feels like the UC and Celiac can play against each other and that eating this way can be expensive. I do still buy the single serving nut packages anyways. I will definitely try some of your ideas. I am definitely taking me a long time to be consistent with planning ahead. I have found that taking the time to freeze things ahead of time actually saves time later, I just need to get into the routine I guess.

I am okay with natural sugars. Honey should be okay - I have used Agave syrup in recipes.

I'm allergic to nuts and can't do corn syrup, so it's pretty hard to find quick, pre-made snacks that don't need to be refrigerated... I'm on a tight budget so I don't buy pre-made food often, but here are a few that are good for me - fruit intensive because I like sweets:

craisins

raisins

natural fruit leather

dried fruit

apple sauce cups

Hello, I am new to this game and have the same problems of knowing what to eat at work. As a UPS driver I am always hungry and have to carry extra food with me. This no gluten deal makes it hard. I need lots of energy. I have solved this by bringing protein drinks from GNC to work with me. They have many kinds of mixes that may help you. Such as a soy/whey or egg based. Some are to gain weight or just to maintain weight with lots of protein. Almost all are sweatened with sucralose. I know sucralose is suppose to be bad for you but I feel so much better taking these drinks I dont care if sucralose rots my liver at this point. GNC also has protein bars that may suitable to eat. Hope that helps for ideas.