Rate this topic

Hi, everyone!

I'd appreciate any advice as I'm really new to this and have been reading a variety of sources. I have been having symptoms since last summer and they got progressively worse. In October, I started undergoing tests for all kinds of GI problems. Everything came up normal. But they never tested for celiac. My doctor tested for celiac via a bloodtest and I'll get the results on Monday. For the last week, I've been doing a gluten-free diet as my doctor said the blood test isn't always 100% reliable.

It's been a week, and I'm feeling a lot better! I'm not 100% better, but the stomach bloating is much better, naseau almost gone, etc. I was wondering though if the fact that I am still having some symptoms after a week could still be from the gluten I had in my system? Or if it were gluten, should I be feeling completely better by now?

Second main question is a lot of the gluten-free products I have found are corn based. Corn has always irritated my stomach some; when I have more than a little, I feel sick from that too. Are there many gluten-free products that aren't corn based? (For example, I had tortilla chips for lunch and corn based pasta for dinner and am feeling kind of queasy. But it's a different kind of queasy than when I've had gluten products. If that makes sense.)

Thanks!

Hi, everyone!

I'd appreciate any advice as I'm really new to this and have been reading a variety of sources. I have been having symptoms since last summer and they got progressively worse. In October, I started undergoing tests for all kinds of GI problems. Everything came up normal. But they never tested for celiac. My doctor tested for celiac via a bloodtest and I'll get the results on Monday. For the last week, I've been doing a gluten-free diet as my doctor said the blood test isn't always 100% reliable.

It's been a week, and I'm feeling a lot better! I'm not 100% better, but the stomach bloating is much better, naseau almost gone, etc. I was wondering though if the fact that I am still having some symptoms after a week could still be from the gluten I had in my system? Or if it were gluten, should I be feeling completely better by now?

Second main question is a lot of the gluten-free products I have found are corn based. Corn has always irritated my stomach some; when I have more than a little, I feel sick from that too. Are there many gluten-free products that aren't corn based? (For example, I had tortilla chips for lunch and corn based pasta for dinner and am feeling kind of queasy. But it's a different kind of queasy than when I've had gluten products. If that makes sense.)

Thanks!

Hi Deaja,

I've been gluten free for about 3 weeks and am feeling better as each week passes. Apparently it can take quite a while for you to feel better after starting a gluten-free diet. Some people take a few weeks, others over 12 months. I'm not a diagnosed Coeliac but have 2 children with it and I seem to have many of the symptoms so have just started going gluten-free cos it's just easier in our household anyway! I can't answer your question on corn, but keep up your gluten-free diet and I'm sure you'll feel better as each week passes! :)

I have had buckwheat and rice based pasta which were both pretty good, although it seems weird to think the buckWHEAT pasta was gluten free but it was hehe.....it took me several weeks to feel better after starting gluten-free diet...good luck!

Hi Deaja,

I've been gluten free for about 3 weeks and am feeling better as each week passes. Apparently it can take quite a while for you to feel better after starting a gluten-free diet. Some people take a few weeks, others over 12 months. I'm not a diagnosed Coeliac but have 2 children with it and I seem to have many of the symptoms so have just started going gluten-free cos it's just easier in our household anyway! I can't answer your question on corn, but keep up your gluten-free diet and I'm sure you'll feel better as each week passes! :)

It is way too soon to make a judgment on gluten. Give yourself a good three weeks to settle into the diet and for your body to adjust to it. That being said, corn could definitely be a problem for you too. I don't tolerate corn any better than I tolerate gluten, and it is about as hard to get rid of. :( You may find you tolerate more highly processed corn (as in cornstarch) better than you do the whole kernel corn - or you may not. Try to eliminate both and see how you do. Some of us initially also have to eliminate lactose in milk, ice cream, cream, etc., until healing takes place in our small intestine.

Just stay with it and adjust your diet if you start reacting to other things. Sometimes these other intolerances are only temporary.

Hi deaja,

Mushroom is right in that it is way too soon to make any kind of definitive decision, but the fact that you are feeling better already should tell you something. If you have celiac disease (even if it is undiagnosed) it can take a long time to heal depending on the degree of intestinal damage, as well as any secondary issues caused due to malabsorption. As far as the corn issue, I can't tolerate refined or processed corn well at all. Fresh or frozen whole kernel I can eat as much as I want! Stoneground corn/corn meal I can eat some, corn syrup or corn meal is a bad idea. Actually, over the last couple years I have found that to be pretty much the case with all grains and most starches. I also had to give up all nightshades for a good 8-10 months or so. Now I can eat some if it isn't more than once or twice a week in smaller amounts - keeping in mind that I used to down a whole quart of pickled jalepenos or peppercinis in an evening. So smaller is relative! =)

But seriously, my diet (and my wifes) is mostly what I guess you would call a paleo diet. She eats more grains that I do, but I have found that I can eat pretty much anything now as long as it isn't a refine sugar, grain, starch, (cow) casein, (cow) lactose, or soy (in any form including soy lecithin), and I limit and rotate my veggie intake. On the positive side of this, once I made this change I lost 70 pounds in about 6 months without changing anything else in my life. I never drank pop (and still don't), ate pretty health before. But my body just developed a general dislike for anything grain related especially. I think that part of it is that I developed leaky gut syndrome due to the gluten issue (read up on zonulin and gluten) and my body just doesn't want to have anything to due with them.