salexander421

Question About Dh Testing...

Rate this topic

Ok, I'm not exactly sure the right way to ask my question. Me and my girls all get an itchy rash when we're accidentally glutened but it doesn't typically seem to last all that long. Is there a way to test for DH if there isn't an active lesion? Also, if we did get tested when there's an active rash would it be accurate since we're on a strict gluten free diet?

You can get false negatives with the DH rash biopsy if you are gluten free. And sometimes it is a false negative even if you are consuming gluten.

I don't they can biopsy unless you have a rash...and the biopsy would be taken from the clear skin next to the lesion.

Hmmm wonder if IgA antibodies could be detected in the clear skin where a rash used to be?

But I doubt any physician would order or perform that biopsy.

Long ago Dr.'s would diagnose DH by placing a Iodine soaked bandage over the area for 24 hrs. and if a rash developed it was diagnostic of DH. I don't know if it works though.

I suppose the value of a test would to eliminate some 'other' skin condition or allergy.

Many of us are happy to know that if there is a 1:1 corelation between gluten and rash, then we've got DH.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty positive DD2's rash is DH. Last week we got some cross contamination and I got hives and a couple rashy bumps on my face and DD1 was itching her stomach and back and got a little bit of a rash on her bottom, but DD2's was the worst! She got this awful rash all over her but that she was clawing at and the other morning she woke up and was crying pointing to her diaper, I took it off and saw several blisters. I think I'm going to hold off on any testing for now since she's only 21 months but it is confirmation for sure that this gluten intolerance she has is serious. Thanks again!