This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From The Uk?

missbread

missbread Newbie

Hi all, last night i finally decided to tackle my celiac head on, i was diagnosed 7 years ago and to be quite frank have been in complete denial of it all this time. Now i find i am suffering terribly with symptoms, some days i can hardly do a thing because i am so tired, i also am quite certain my 7yr old has it too (arghhh! double trouble). Anyways i just looked up celiac online last night and found this site, so i thought i'd say hi to everyone and try and search for some UK sufferers and see if anyone has some good advice about where and what to buy in the UK food wise, do any of the major supermarkets cater for celiac sufferers?

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Holeygirl Newbie

Hi there :) ah another in denial person. I was diagnosed 14 years ago. Not long after that I lost 5 stone and my symptoms kinda disappeared so I put it down to being fat lol. I ate what I wanted after that..fool! But in the last couple of years everything has gotten worse..but being much older I think my syptoms changed and I didn't make the connection. For the last 18 months I've had daily headaches, joint pain, fatigue, plus the stomach horrors, sleep problems and lack of libido. All things I put down to working a lot and getting older. I'm fit, workout and do martial arts but still never felt well. So for the last 2 weeks I've 'behaved' and not touched any Gluten filled loveliness..and I feel fabulous!!! wooo. No headaches at all and I'm generally feeling different. As for gluten-free foods..Tesco have a really good range and Asda are getting pretty good too. If you go to Coeliac UK website you can join free for 6 months as a newly diagnosed sufferer and they'll send you a welcome pack..some great stuff in there.

Hope this helps. :D

navigator Apprentice

You also get a free food and drink directory when you join coeliacuk. It lists the major supermarkets and what is safe to buy. Nice handbag size so I've not left home without it since I was diagnosed two weeks ago.

missbread Newbie

hi guys , thanks for replying i will check out coeliac uk for sure, i also noticed morrissons has a decent "free from" section, oh and btw i found the best ever choc brownie recipe, you will never know its gluten free, slurp! Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star

hi guys , thanks for replying i will check out coeliac uk for sure, i also noticed morrissons has a decent "free from" section, oh and btw i found the best ever choc brownie recipe, you will never know its gluten free, slurp! Open Original Shared Link

That has flour in it. You'd need to sub in gluten-free flour mix.

missbread Newbie

That has flour in it. You'd need to sub in gluten-free flour mix.

oh yes of course, thats what i did, i used doves plain flour, they turned out awsome!

• 3 weeks later...
Hawthorn Rookie

Hey :) I'm from yorkshire in the UK.

Tesco have a decent free from section.

Also, Heinz were very helpful and sent me out a list of all of their products that are gluten free (under other labels too), so may be worth giving them a call.

You may want to check your hair/skin products for gluten too. I was still having problems, and found that both a lot of my toiletries contained gluten in the form of wheatgerm oil. I know, we don't eat this stuff, but for someone like me who is a habitual finger sucker and hair player when I'm concentrating I found it helped to get rid of it.

Colgate toothpaste is also gluten-free...not sure about others but I checked up on this since this is the brand I use.

Asda were also really helpful. I got glutened from a product of theirs that looked totally non suspect and when I asked they told me it wasn't recommended for coeliacs, but they didn't say why (should've asked, my bad). They did however say to call them if I had queries on any product of theirs and they could say whether it was safe or not.

If you've been diagnosed with coeliacs, you may be able to get some of the things you need on prescription I believe. I'm currently awaiting an appointment to see a gastroenterologist for biopsy so don't get this, but I think there is information on this on the Coeliac uk site.

You might want to have a look at cross contamination in the home too. If you're going gluten-free you may need to get rid of some kitchen utensils....wooden cutting boards, wooden spoons etc. My husband used alchohol on our pans and I've had no problem - was cheaper than replacing them (they were the stainless steel variety)

For myself, when I went gluten-free I found it easier to avoid gluten-free varieties of food that would normally be made with wheat...bread etc. It just didn't taste the same, and I felt a bit deprived that I was having to eat this stuff. Instead I ate naturally gluten free foods and rediscovered cooking without wheat flour. That was a little strange as my family tend to like traditional british food, such as yorkshire pudding, pie etc. Nowadays they are heartily tucking into mexican foods, curries, new and interesting jacket potato fillings and the like. I'm back on gluten now and will be for a while until the biopsy date comes through (painful, ugh)

Anyway, I've rattled on enough I'm sure :) Good luck with it all, and I hope your child gets the all clear.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived