anna34

Glutened Today

Rate this topic

I've been glutened twice this week and my reaction has been terrible pain and bloating. I used to have reactions like this once or twice a month prior to going gluten-free not realizing that it was gluten related. I just thought that was the way I was. So, to have it happen twice in one week after being pain free for almost two months has been very unpleasant.

The first glutening was my own fault - neglected to check ingredients on a bag of potato chips that I thought were safe. Turns out they USED to be gluten-free but the production line changed. So, that's my fault.

The second one happened today and I have a few possibilities:

1. Ate out for dinner. E-mailed the company ahead of time (chain restaurant). Got a list of menu items that are gluten-free. Told to tell the server, which I did. She spoke to the chef and confirmed the item was gluten-free. The manager even delivered the meal and confirmed it was gluten free. So, I don't think this was it.

2. Came home and made brownies for dessert - yum! Measuring spoons were sitting on a shelf that I used to store wheat flour on, but which I did wipe down before turning the kitchen gluten-free. Is it possible there were traces of gluten on the cupboard shelf? The measuring spoons are new.

3. The brownie recipe called for oil and I used canola oil. Could the canola oil have gluten in it or be cross-contaminated?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I would suspect cross-contamination from the restaurant despite their best efforts. The things you have the least control over are more likely to get you. Not to say there couldn't have been flour on the shelf (though unlikely if you cleaned it and don't have gluten in the house?) Did you use a baking tray which had been used for gluten? This can be remedied by lining with parchment paper. Did you use any old wooden utensils? I doubt that the canola oil would be contaminated, although some people don't react well to it. If you had used it before, an unlikely source. If none of the foregoing apply, it was most likely the restaurant.

How far apart were the incidents - sometimes after a glutening, I'll have a "Day 1" reaction, and then a second reaction a few days later. What were the ingredients for the brownies - did you use a "premix" or mix the flours and cocoa etc from scratch? Any new ingredients used that you're not sure of?

Otherwise, since you're sure the chips were a problem (sorry btw, that's gotten me a few times myself :( ), how long did it take for you to react to that? Can you compare with the 2nd incident and get a time frame?

I'm fairly sure canola oil is safe :) Your counter should also have been fine, the likelihood of a trace of gluten being transferred to the measuring spoon, and then into the mix (I assume you poured, you probably didn't even touch the flour mix with the spoon?), should be very low.

If the brownie mix was 100% safe, then I'd blame restaurant - sometimes chefs/waiters just don't understand the concept of CC, and don't think twice using a flour-laden spoon to mix something else etc. They might have used a sauce that some ingredient contained gluten, or trace amounts of gluten.

I doubt that the canola oil would be contaminated, although some people don't react well to it.

When I initially went gluten-free I could not use canola oil at all. Now I don't pay attention to being in something (since I rarely buy processed foods, any exposure would be small), but I won't eat anything cooked in it. (eg, potato chips)

I would suspect cross-contamination from the restaurant despite their best efforts. The things you have the least control over are more likely to get you. Not to say there couldn't have been flour on the shelf (though unlikely if you cleaned it and don't have gluten in the house?) Did you use a baking tray which had been used for gluten? This can be remedied by lining with parchment paper. Did you use any old wooden utensils? I doubt that the canola oil would be contaminated, although some people don't react well to it. If you had used it before, an unlikely source. If none of the foregoing apply, it was most likely the restaurant.

Thanks for your reply mushroom. I guess I was really hoping it wouldn't be the restaurant since I had taken such care in advance and they were so sure everything was gluten-free. It would be wonderful to be able to go out to eat once in a while. I've only been doing this for 6 weeks though, so I won't get discouraged.

How far apart were the incidents - sometimes after a glutening, I'll have a "Day 1" reaction, and then a second reaction a few days later. What were the ingredients for the brownies - did you use a "premix" or mix the flours and cocoa etc from scratch? Any new ingredients used that you're not sure of?

Otherwise, since you're sure the chips were a problem (sorry btw, that's gotten me a few times myself :( ), how long did it take for you to react to that? Can you compare with the 2nd incident and get a time frame?

I'm fairly sure canola oil is safe :) Your counter should also have been fine, the likelihood of a trace of gluten being transferred to the measuring spoon, and then into the mix (I assume you poured, you probably didn't even touch the flour mix with the spoon?), should be very low.

If the brownie mix was 100% safe, then I'd blame restaurant - sometimes chefs/waiters just don't understand the concept of CC, and don't think twice using a flour-laden spoon to mix something else etc. They might have used a sauce that some ingredient contained gluten, or trace amounts of gluten.

Hmmm...if I were to consider the timing, then it must have been the restaurant. Both the chips and the restaurant dinner were consumed four hours prior to the pain. I'll have to remember that if/when I get glutened again. Yes, it must have been the restaurant. Nothing with gluten has entered my cupboards since I wiped them down and the brownie mix was Pamela's. Since canola oil seems to be safe, it must have been dinner.

Thanks everyone. This really is a learning process!

But what did you cook the brownies in ?

New or old pan ?

But what did you cook the brownies in ?

New or old pan ?

I used a bowl that is dishwasher/microwave safe, was just cleaned, and I haven't had issues with these bowls before. It was a microwave brownie where you just add oil and water to the mix, stir, and microwave for 60 seconds (yummy!)

If it was the restaurant, they must have grilled the chicken on a common grill or something. The chef and the chain and the manager told me that all ingredients in this particular dish are gluten-free.

I'm just shocked at how painful my reaction to gluten is since going gluten-free. I only found out that I have celiac because my daughter tested positive so I got tested. Looking back, I was totally fatigued, drained, foggy, and pale - but I thought that was just how I was - didn't even know about celiac. Since cutting out gluten I have energy and can think clearly. Unfortunately, my intestines seem to be very sensitive to gluten now. :(

I have been burned by a common grill at a restaurant. So darn frustrating when you call ahead, have them leave the chix unmarinated, talk to the manager & server, etc. Lesson well learned. Now I ask that anything "grilled" be made in a separate pan instead. Beware of common fryers as well. The oil will be contaminated. Some restaurants will heat up separate oil in a pan if you ask nice. ;)