hsmomof6

Got My Diagnosis Today

Rate this topic

I was referred back to my PCP by the NP at the GI office. The NP had told me I did not have Celiac, even though my antigliadin IgA was very positive, because everything else was negative. My PCP took one look at my blood work and said, "you have Celiac disease." It turns out she has Celiac herself and is very knowledgeable about it. She said I could go back on gluten (been off almost 3 weeks now) and do an endoscopy, but she didn't want to put me through that and had no problem diagnosing me through the blood test and symptoms. It seems weird to feel relieved, but at least I feel like I have an answer now. She told me her story and it was very similar to mine, all the GI symptoms and being tested for everything under the sun before being tested for Celiac. She was actually blood test negative, but biopsy positive.

So, I've been gluten-free for a few weeks and I'm never going back. I am so thankful for the support and information shared on this board. It was really helpful for me in accepting the whole gluten-free thing. It was really overwhelming at first and now I feel a lot better about it. Still mourning some of my favorite foods, but I know I'll find alternatives that won't hurt me.

I want your doctor! Please tell me you live in the Kansas City area! Please! :unsure:

Sounds like you have a good doctor. I hope you heal quickly. Hopefully she let you know that all 1st degree relatives should also be tested even if they don't seem to have any issues.

What kind of test should my children have done? I was talking about this with my daughter and son this afternoon.

What kind of test should my children have done? I was talking about this with my daughter and son this afternoon.

They should have full celiac panels and if they choose to and have symptoms an endoscopy might be something to think about. Do be aware of false negatives so if any family members have symptoms, even ones not GI related like depression, skin issues, fibro or arthritis for examples, a trial of the diet is a good idea even if tests are negative.

In my family I was persistantly tested as I was very ill and text book celiac symptom wise and always came back negative. Both my children and my ex showed up in blood work.