jemms

Completed Endoscopy

Rate this topic

Had my endo done today and the photos of the stomach and esophagus came back normal. the doctor said that it looked good. I am waiting to see what the biopsy shows. Is it normal to have the stomach look good but the biopsy show damaged villi?

Also, he said that since I have the antibodies for Celiac's to start with the gluten free diet and see a dietician. I want a definitive yes or no. This is driving me nuts!!Thanks so much!!

You have to wait for the microscopic report; damage is often not visible to the naked eye.

Since you have antibodies you already have a definate yes even if the biopsies are normal. Damage can be patchy or can be in an area that is beyond the reach of the scope. Do follow your doctors advice and start the diet strictly as you do need to be on it.

thanks so much for your replies!! I am so grateful for this forum!

Jemms: How was it? How long were you under? Was your throat sore afterwards? How was the anesthesia administered, pill, mask, shot?

raven: What is the point then of having an endoscope then? just to see if villi is damaged? but then Dr might snip an undamaged section. With over 20 feet to choose from as you say its quite possible not to get an accurate sample. I am more on the side now of not having my kids get the endoscopy. I don't think its worth the risk and the time the more I learn.

Maximoo,

It was painless and an overall good experience. I had an IV put into my hand and they administered the anesthesia when I got wheeled into the procedure room via the IV. I think I was only out for about 35 minutes. I had no problems afterward with a sore throat. All went well. :D

raven: What is the point then of having an endoscope then? just to see if villi is damaged? but then Dr might snip an undamaged section. With over 20 feet to choose from as you say its quite possible not to get an accurate sample. I am more on the side now of not having my kids get the endoscopy. I don't think its worth the risk and the time the more I learn.

For a long time the only way to diagnose was the endo and some doctors still see it as the 'gold standard'. More doctors are starting to diagnose with just positive bloodwork and response to the diet. Sometimes a ped or GP will give the diagnosis once the persons health has returned as they usually see the full effects of the impact over the years whereas a GI doctor may only see the person once before the endo and once afterwards. Personally with positive bloods I would just consider myself diagnosed. However the endo can be useful as a 'baseline' with doctors able to check if damage is still present after a few months on the diet. Although with positive blood work healing on the diet can also be checked by seeing if the antibody levels have gone down. IMHO it is up to the person to decide if they want to have the procedure done. There are downsides and upsides to it.